Dry hopping question

Nberry

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have an IPA that I am making, and I have a question about dry hopping. the brew has been in fermentation for 12 days and I need to know if I need to do a second or can I do the dry hopping now? The plan is to dry hop it now and then keg it in seven days. I would like to get input on this topic.

Personally, i dry hop for a max of three days after fermentation is done.

there's been a big debate on when to dry hop lately.

for myself I've started about day 4 or 5 of active fermentation, the reason is for oxygen removal, the C02 will push the oxygen from the hops as well as what happens when you open the vessel out naturally. I know this doesn't help you but next time try it, it works

Coincidental I just saw this post lol ^^
You could keg hop ito_O.
this depends on how much dry hop were talking. Them canister style keg hoppers are around 100g Max (gotta remember expansion)
@Ozarks Mountain Brew pointed me in the right direction a fair while back with them little stainless tea ones
20220610_130042.jpg

Now i use this on right.

I wouldn't fill more than half way.

Anyhow dry hopping after fermentation can introduce oxygen that can do in your hard work of dry hopping.

Or you can add some Metabisulphate in with the dry hop to deal with any o2 ingress.
Good luck I hope I havnt made this more complicated on you:)

I think I just ordered something like that @Ben ;)
Was looking for a 12 volt temp controller, came to hop-things and this one was 50% off... Ordered the temp controller as well.
Sorry @Nberry
I went a bit off topic. I've never dry hopped before and will be following this thread

I need to know if I need to do a second or can I do the dry hopping now?

Although most kits still say to rack all brews to a secondary vessel, few brewers do unless there is a special reason for it. When I'm bulk aging something like a Wee Heavy, I'll rack to secondary. Some others use a secondary if they are adding fruit. But most home brewers dry hop in the primary fermentation vessel.

Although most kits still say to rack all brews to a secondary vessel, few brewers do unless there is a special reason for it. When I'm bulk aging something like a Wee Heavy, I'll rack to secondary. Some others use a secondary if they are adding fruit. But most home brewers dry hop in the primary fermentation vessel.

I have gotten into the habit of moving into a secondary vessel to help keep the liquid clearer. Not that it works but it is harder to pick up the yeast at the bottom when I go to keg it. I have shortened the amount of time I am taking from brew to keg and I am hoping this will help with the cloudy issues I seem to be having. I have gotten some Irish moss to see if this will help.

Personally, i dry hop for a max of three days after fermentation is done.
I am going to leave it in for 5 days and then keg it and let is sit for a couple of weeks. I am going on vacation so I really can't do much with it at the moment. When I keg it I set the PSI at 12 lbs and let it sit for a week usually but I am not sure this is the correct way to do it. I have a a Irish Red Ale that I brewed, it has a good taste and I have it in the keg at 12 PSI but it doesn't seem to have a lot of carbination. I can draw a pint and I have a small head on top, which I like, but I am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be.

Coincidental I just saw this post lol ^^
You could keg hop ito_O.
this depends on how much dry hop were talking. Them canister style keg hoppers are around 100g Max (gotta remember expansion)
@Ozarks Mountain Brew pointed me in the right direction a fair while back with them little stainless tea ones
View attachment 21030
Now i use this on right.

I wouldn't fill more than half way.

Anyhow dry hopping after fermentation can introduce oxygen that can do in your hard work of dry hopping.

Or you can add some Metabisulphate in with the dry hop to deal with any o2 ingress.
Good luck I hope I havnt made this more complicated on you:)

thanks. The more I do this the more complicated it seems to be getting.

thanks. The more I do this the more complicated it seems to be getting.
That's brewing or most things in life for you. The more you get into something the more complex it can become.

Brewing is as complex or as simple ad you want.

Dry hopping at the time of fermentation naturally helps deal with the o2 that got introduced from the dry hopping.
Like Ozarks said next batch remember this.

I am going to leave it in for 5 days and then keg it and let is sit for a couple of weeks. I am going on vacation so I really can't do much with it at the moment. When I keg it I set the PSI at 12 lbs and let it sit for a week usually but I am not sure this is the correct way to do it. I have a a Irish Red Ale that I brewed, it has a good taste and I have it in the keg at 12 PSI but it doesn't seem to have a lot of carbination. I can draw a pint and I have a small head on top, which I like, but I am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be.
12 psi at 38 F is a decent carbonation. I sometimes go up to 20 for a fizzy beer like hefeweitzen.

Look for a carbonation chart online, it tells you psi at a temperature for the desired CO2 'volumes'. 2.5 is typical for an IPA.

Just after I keg, I increase the pressure to 40 psi and leave it for about 24 hours, that gives it a decent start on carbonation. Then I adjust the pressure to the temperature and desired volumes, and that finalizes it. I do have to reduce the pressure for serving though.

That will work.

I usually do 30psi for 2-3 days then turn down to 10-12psi. Shortens the time it takes to carb up by 4 days or so

Depending on your Fermentor you may approach dry hopping differently. A little research will give you many different ways to go about it.
You said you'll be kegging, so I'd recommend doing it in the keg.
You can add the hops to the keg before racking the beer into the keg and purge the keg with CO2 before racking to reduce oxygen pick up and then remove them after the desired time.
Another way to do it in a keg would be to add them to the full keg. During this addition, you can hook the gas to the liquid connector and at very low pressure, bubble gas up from the bottom while venting the lid for 3-4 minutes.
Many ways to skin the cat.
Cheers
Brian

Back