Dark Mexican Lager

Sandy Feet

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have the time to brew right now, so I normally drive myself nuts this time of year thinking about things I could brew in the future. The other night I had a very good Dark Mexican Lager that had a higher gravity than the traditional version. It was around 6%. It got me thinking about combining my Pre Pro Lager and American Porter recipes to come up with a different version of a Dark Lager.
Have any of y'all tried something like this before, and how did it come out?
I'm thinking of a 2 row/6 row base, some Munich 1, maybe a little Chocolate, a little Crystal 120, and some flaked corn. I'm thinking about trying 34/70 again and using the Crystal hops I used in the Pre Pro.

Sounds like a Baltic Porter made with adjuncts. I think 34/70 is a good choice for yeast to keep it nice and dry on the finish.

I made an English Porter with 1/2 pound of English chocolate malt and it was really good. It wasn't too roasty or sweet. The chocolate malt had hints of coffee and raisins, the chocolate flavor wasn't overwhelming. I haven't tried it as a lager, but it's tempting.

Holy crap, I guess they have been doing this for a really long time. I was doing some more research, and I guess my idea is either damn close or spot on with a Pennsylvania Porter. Reseach and the idea of brewing old styles is starting to get fun. And to think, I started looking at this stuff because I really liked a beer made in South Florida:)

Munich 1 will contribute depth and maltiness to the beer, while Chocolate and Crystal 120 will add color, sweetness, and complexity. Be mindful of the proportions to avoid overwhelming the beer with too much roasted or caramel flavors.

Brewed it as a Pre Pro/Mexican Lager last year with basically my Porter recipe, lager yeast, and flaked corn. It turned out DAMN good.

Back