Creating a snapshot recipe changes color and DP of malt

Lunkwill

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had this issue for some time, but I only noticed it when brewing for Christmas last year. I've been working around it, but it's a lot of work, and it's really annoying (it's annoying enough that I'm considering switching brewing software and cancelling my subscription).

Some recipes I tend to brew once a year, every year. I make snapshots of these recipes to keep track of little changes from year to year (like different hop AA values, replacing hops, using different malts because they were out of stock).

But: Creating snapshots break my recipes! When the malt bill is copied to the snapshot recipe, Brewer's Friend fails to copy the attributes of the malt additions in three respects:

1. The malt brand disappears
2. The Diastatic power value is set to 0 for all malts.
3. The Lovibond color value is subtly increased.

I only noticed this after several years of snapshotting the previous year's recipe, where the recipe editor's color estimate over time had turned really dark, and the mash pH estimate was way off. I was even trying to correct the mash pH using lactic acid when I noticed the malt details were all wrong.

Why has this issue gone unnoticed for so long? Surely I'm not the only one experiencing this?

I don’t think mine does that….seems to copy exactly.

I've had this issue for some time, but I only noticed it when brewing for Christmas last year. I've been working around it, but it's a lot of work, and it's really annoying (it's annoying enough that I'm considering switching brewing software and cancelling my subscription).

Some recipes I tend to brew once a year, every year. I make snapshots of these recipes to keep track of little changes from year to year (like different hop AA values, replacing hops, using different malts because they were out of stock).

But: Creating snapshots break my recipes! When the malt bill is copied to the snapshot recipe, Brewer's Friend fails to copy the attributes of the malt additions in three respects:

1. The malt brand disappears
2. The Diastatic power value is set to 0 for all malts.
3. The Lovibond color value is subtly increased.

I only noticed this after several years of snapshotting the previous year's recipe, where the recipe editor's color estimate over time had turned really dark, and the mash pH estimate was way off. I was even trying to correct the mash pH using lactic acid when I noticed the malt details were all wrong.

Why has this issue gone unnoticed for so long? Surely I'm not the only one experiencing this?

Thanks for reaching out, I'm opening a ticket now and will investigate further today to see if I can quickly resolve. The issue seems to be that malt brand and DP aren't being saved for CUSTOM ingredients that are added to the recipe builder. If you save to your inventory, or use standard ingredients in the dropdown this isn't an issue, and custom ingredients are not super common which is why it's probably not been noticed or communicated until now, if it were PPG that got dropped, I'm sure I would've heard about it immediately!

It's occurring for any recipe copying, not just snapshots.

Issue has been identified and resolved on beta, but we generally don't try to submit any updates on the weekend, so may not go live until monday. Will reply here once it's live!

Issue has been identified and resolved on beta, but we generally don't try to submit any updates on the weekend, so may not go live until monday. Will reply here once it's live!

Wow, swift response! I'll try to check it out as soon as I can after it deploys :)

I just did a snapshot of my Smooth Stout, changed a few things, and the result is fine. However, I don’t have any “custom” malts. Anyway, I hope the issue can be resolved to the satisfaction of the OP.

Back