Contradictory OG's

Discussion in 'Recipe Editor' started by JamesB-Hynes, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Pricelessbrewing

Pricelessbrewing BF Software Manager
    Staff Member

Personally, I think brewhouse and fermenter makes the most sense and that's what I recommend everyone uses. There's a couple reasons, but the main ones are

1) The final product is what truly matters. Every time you ignore a part of the brewing process, you're ignoring part of the finished beer.

2) Communication. When people say OG, they mean the gravity at fermenter before pitching yeast, with almost no exceptions. If you're using kettle, and using the postboil SG to mean OG, then you have to needlessly translate or explain things instead of using the common terms.

I do see a couple scenarios where it may be better to use kettle instead, such as making a concentrated wort and diluting it, especially where there may be wort losses in the kettle due to undrainable volumes.

If you're using equivalent numbers, and converting the efficiency, then there's no difference in accuracy.

Kettle efficiency will be more consistent than brewhouse, if you're leaving different amounts of wort behind in different recipes, but I don't think the target: kettle is the best practice personally. Hopefully we can separate the two in the near future so you'll be able to use kettle efficiency, but keep the batch size as fermenter volume.

Megary likes this.
  2. mblairbeer

mblairbeer New Member

For me, it would be good if you could separate the two in the near future. What I collect in the fermentor varies based on the amount of trub the boil produces. I collect between 5 and 5.5 gallons generally, post chill. The post chill gravity reading in the kettle doesn't differ from the gravity reading in the fermentor, so to me that just makes sense. BTW - I love the app. If I need to switch to kettle volume, I will. I chose BF because it is relatively easy to use and I can access from all my devices. I'm an old school brewer, having cut my teeth in 1995 from Charlie P's Complete Joy of Homebrewing. For the most part, I keep things simple and RDWHAHB. It just struck me as odd the way teh app was behaving on the two batch sizes.

Pricelessbrewing likes this.
  3. Brewer #99276

Brewer #99276 New Member

As this was a good couple of months back, is there any news on this getting fixed? This has been bugging the shit out of me for months now. Even to the point where I'm thinking of dropping BF for an alternative :(

4. Pricelessbrewing

Staff Member

I'll see if I can bump the request again to get the efficiency to be a separate choice from the target volume. It is part of a larger project, but that change should be able to be fast tracked. I'll update here when it moves to beta, and if/when it gets released.

5. Brewer #99276

Brewer #99276 New Member

That would be great, thank you :)

Pricelessbrewing likes this.
  6. mblairbeer

mblairbeer New Member

Thought I would ask if an update was made regarding how OG is being calculated in the recipe editor when selecting kettle versus fermentor as the target. I noticed today that the OGs now match for these two when the target is changed from fermentor to kettle and vice-versa. This wasn't the case before, hence this thread. Thanks.

7. Pricelessbrewing

Staff Member

Nothing's changed in the gravity calculations recently, or the target behavior, so that's surprising that the resulting behavior seems to have changed.