Cold-crashing a Lager...

Donoroto

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
In the fermenter is an Oktoberfest. Fermentation is done but, as I consider the cold-crash, I wonder what the range of opinions is regarding the speed of the process.

Should it be crashed as fast as possible, or just 5-7 degrees (F) per day, or something else?

For my ales, I always crash as fast as that little fridge can manage, and I like the results. Plus, I get to package the beer sooner and with less effort. This batch uses S23 yeast.

Your thoughts?

This thread discusses that very topic. Conclusion leaned toward slower may lead to clearer beer. But nothing conclusive.

I always crash for 2 days. Don't know if it falls in the 5-7° per hour. But it takes 48hours to go from 50F to 34F

I always crash for 2 days. Don't know if it falls in the 5-7° per hour. But it takes 48hours to go from 50F to 34F
I was headed towards 5-7 degrees per day.

Maybe that's too slow? I mean, I am sure it'll be clear after sitting half a year.

In the fermenter is an Oktoberfest. Fermentation is done but, as I consider the cold-crash, I wonder what the range of opinions is regarding the speed of the process.

Should it be crashed as fast as possible, or just 5-7 degrees (F) per day, or something else?

For my ales, I always crash as fast as that little fridge can manage, and I like the results. Plus, I get to package the beer sooner and with less effort. This batch uses S23 yeast.

Your thoughts?
Are you trying to drink it soon or in September?

It makes little difference whether you crash fast or slow. The beer will clear fastest at 30-31F. If your lagering that long, no clarifiers are needed, but you may want to consider an antioxidant if you’re lagering that long. I often add up to 1.1grams of PMB as a preservative. It works really well.

It makes little difference whether you crash fast or slow. The beer will clear fastest at 30-31F. If your lagering that long, no clarifiers are needed, but you may want to consider an antioxidant if you’re lagering that long. I often add up to 1.1grams of PMB as a preservative. It works really well.
Well, I store in a keg, under pressure, and use a closed transfer system to get the beer into a purged keg. I suppose the pmb (smb ok?) cannot hurt, but under those conditions, do you still think it is needed?

Well, I store in a keg, under pressure, and use a closed transfer system to get the beer into a purged keg. I suppose the pmb (smb ok?) cannot hurt, but under those conditions, do you still think it is needed?
SMB adds sodium, PMB does not. It’s hard to say, but lagering more than 2 months runs the risk of o2. I know since I’ve been using PMB, the beer stays fresher longer.

Happy brewing!

I've read that 3-4 Degrees per day is the reccomeded rate down to 34F. A faster rate may shock the yeast and they will stop cleaning up the beer.
There is a good brewlosophy on this too. The slower crashed beers turned out clearer faster.

Have a look at this, Think this is what Minbari is referring to

Have a look at this, Think this is what Minbari is referring to
Long story short, since my first post it has been gradually been getting colder. Now it is cold. So soon I will keg it.

I don't have any pmb, just smb, and I'm going to follow @HighVoltageMan! 's advice. I still don't see how any o2 can get in there, but a gram of smb is very cheap insurance.

Back