Brewing with Vista Hops

The Gonz

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey all, question on building a recipe, and looking for suggestions or ideas. We're having a small local competition where the only two real requirements are that we're being given 8oz of Vista Hops and we're to brew a 21B Specialty Red IPA.

First question, does this really not exist in the database here on the recipe builder? It's not an option when I type it in, do I just add it myself with as much info as I know about it?

2nd, anyone have any favorite grains to pair in a red IPA using a hop variety that is very citrus focused, with melon, pear, peach, papaya, honeydew notes. Looks like this hop is about 9-10AA.

From what I can find online, this is a somewhat newer 'experimental' hop that was featured in the Surly "Hops for the People Juicy IPA" for example.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've used Vista before with Talus and Citra. It was a nice beer, but hard to differentiate Vista flavors/aromas from the others

I think you need to decide if you want a red IPA with red/amber ale malt characteristics, or an IPA with red coloration. I'm a big fan of citrusy/dank reds/ambers, so I think it will work either way.

If you want to go the citrus/pine/northwest hop route and want to stick with "newer" hops I would recommend McKenzie. I've used it a few times and it's great for classic "C" hop flavor, plus a little more tropical/juicy vibes

2 Row and a bit of melanoidin malt to get the reddish color and maybe some caramel 10L.

Back