Brewing with pennyroyal?

Tomislava

Trial Member
Reaction score
I know pennyroyal oil is highly toxic, but tea is consumed and there are a couple of commercial examples of beer with pennyroyal. I'm wondering if I can use in a herbal beer instead of regular mint. And how much?

Just seems like there are alot of things you can use that aren't poison. My $0.02
Yeah..I'm with you...Ewelle Gibbons used to eat poison ivy and some folks eat puffer fish but both of them are experts, ya know what I'm saying? If there's a question...then there IS no question!

I know pennyroyal oil is highly toxic, but tea is consumed and there are a couple of commercial examples of beer with pennyroyal. I'm wondering if I can use in a herbal beer instead of regular mint. And how much?
Pennyroyal oil is highly toxic and can cause serious health problems, including liver damage, seizures, and even death. Even small amounts can be dangerous.
Your safety is paramount. It's always better to err on the side of caution when dealing with potentially toxic ingredients. Enjoy brewing your herbal beer with safe and delicious alternatives!

Back