brew PH

Minbari

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
very hottly contested subject. I have always maintained that ph managment is important and will make a better beer.

Brulosophy did an interview with John Palmer (How to brew) on the subject of PH. definately worth a view. if you are looking to fine tune a recipe, this coule help

I don't think mash pH is the only place to monitor the pH level. Pitch pH is one of the most important places to check pH, at least in my way of thinking. The experiments between the pH levels in the mash and the pH levels in the boil are kind of useless, because it's a completely different beer (cream ale vs IPA) and therefore the pH would be slightly different.

What's not completely discussed is the effect of yeast, specifically, yeast health has on finish pH. A low pitch rate can lead to higher finish pH which accentuates bitterness. Poor yeast health can also contribute to a higher pH. Different strains of yeast produce different levels of acid during fermentation. Chico strains produce less acid than lager strains and lager strains produce less than acid than Kolsch/Alt strains.

This was a good video and worth watching, thanks for posting it!

I don't think mash pH is the only place to monitor the pH level. Pitch pH is one of the most important places to check pH, at least in my way of thinking. The experiments between the pH levels in the mash and the pH levels in the boil are kind of useless, because it's a completely different beer (cream ale vs IPA) and therefore the pH would be slightly different.

What's not completely discussed is the effect of yeast, specifically, yeast health has on finish pH. A low pitch rate can lead to higher finish pH which accentuates bitterness. Poor yeast health can also contribute to a higher pH. Different strains of yeast produce different levels of acid during fermentation. Chico strains produce less acid than lager strains and lager strains produce less than acid than Kolsch/Alt strains.

This was a good video and worth watching, thanks for posting it!
ya, I think even Palmer danced around the subject enough to indicate that this is a hard subject to just say "do this and you get that" when and where the PH is measured and how, based on the style will all determine how it effects it.

ya, post fermentation is never anywhere near the same ph as when it when in.

very hottly contested subject. I have always maintained that ph managment is important and will make a better beer.

Brulosophy did an interview with John Palmer (How to brew) on the subject of PH. definately worth a view. if you are looking to fine tune a recipe, this coule help

Mash pH is such a tough one to nail down though. It really requires making the same recipe multiple times to get it dialed in by trial and error because by the time you can get your mash pH reading, the mash is mostly done thanks to the super quick conversion speed of today's malts. Mostly I just take note of it for next time and adjust accordingly.

So on today's brew. After 15 minutes the ph was 5.35. 0.5mL of phosphoric lowered ph to 5.28.

Doesn't take much, wow

Back