bottle or leave longer (temperature issue)

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I started a brew a week ago with bry-97 (lightly hopped beer)
Fermented at 17-18 oC, (62.5 - 64) then my controller packed up and temperature is going up to 25+ oC (77+)
Tested and tasted this morning. No off flavours, 88 % apparent attenuation, SG of 1.006 (corrected refractometer reading).
Previous brew with bry 97 got an even higher attenuation, so the beer may not have finished yet.
Normally I leave my beers for about 2 weeks.
But I am wondering if I should bottle now to avoid high temperatures in the fermenter for too long? And maybe use a little less sugar or no sugar?
Bottle conditioning will be at the same temperature, so I haven't got a clue if it makes a difference.

What is your advice?

(Edited to include Fahrenheit temperatures)

Last edited:
My thoughts would be that I want it out of the fermenter, and that I wouldn't want the battles you have with temps :)

It's not too bad if fermentation is finishing to get them temp spikes.

Brew day or early on in fermentation might cause some unwanted esters.

Glad you dodged a bullet.

Somehow everything works again (for now), which is great, but also makes it almost impossible to find the fault.
It's an earth leak somewhere, but where?

Anyway, brought the temperature back somewhat. If no issues, I'll let it sit. Otherwise I'll bottle in Grolsch (swing top) bottles as they can be opened easily if needs be.
Maybe with a little less sugar. If I take the bunyip as a given, then I'm still a little off with apparent attenuation. I work it out as 0.25 brix off.
Which is 2.5 gr/litre sugar?

Maybe I should go back to yeasts that resemble the climate closer.
Voss for high summer
Belgians & saisons for now
Bry 97 and its friends for closer to winter time :rolleyes:

And note to self: check your thermometers. The inkbird differs from the el cheapo aquarium thermometer. But who is right?

As long as the SG is stable, bottle it.

Wait for stable gravity and then bottle at your normal carbonation level
Thanks
Exactly what I decided, since I can cool again.
I was scared of going up to 40 oC ( like 110 F) :oops:
Luckily the sample still tasted good. I got almost 10 litres of it which is a huge batch for me:cool:

The inkbird differs from the el cheapo aquarium thermometer. But who is right
Trust the Inkbird...they are calibrated at the factory specifically for accuracy to 1 decmal point where as your fishy thing can off a few and fishy don't know.

Also..a couple extra days on the cake won't matter..hell, Lotta folks leave the beer in the fermenter for a couple WEEKS as an SOP. I've gone for 15 or 16 days with no noticeable adverse impact when I had covid!

Also..a couple extra days on the cake won't matter..hell, Lotta folks leave the beer in the fermenter for a couple WEEKS as an SOP. I've gone for 15 or 16 days with no noticeable adverse impact when I had covid!
Agreed
@OP, even if there was a risk of finishing off fermentation too warm, it is better than bottling too early. If you do that and still condition at warm temps, you will still have the esthers...plus potential bottle bombs to boot!

Thanks @sbaclimber
That's one of my queries answered for future problems ;)
Not scared of trub/yeast cake...
This was really a temperature thing.
Now I figure if I would be kegging.... I would let 'r go in the keg for a bit before carbing.
Or not?
Educate me :confused:

Thanks @sbaclimber
That's one of my queries answered for future problems ;)
Not scared of trub/yeast cake...
This was really a temperature thing.
Now I figure if I would be kegging.... I would let 'r go in the keg for a bit before carbing.
Or not?
Educate me :confused:
Yes, a keg can handle much higher pressure than a bottle. If fermentation is active, just pull the pressure release on the keg once a day. Indeed, let it rise to some pressure and it carbonates itself.

Back