Black IPA recipe

Archo

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am about to try my first all grain brew using my own recipe. I am going for a Double Black IPA, and based on the numbers this looks good. The calculator estimates 9.4% ABV, 93 IBU, and 35 SRM, so at least on paper it looks good. Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... ome-recipe
Since the recipe view seems to be broken I'll also paste it here:

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
  • 12 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 60%
    6 lb American - Munich - Dark 20L 33 20 30%
    0.5 lb American - CaraBrown 34 55 2.5%
    0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 2.5%
    1 lb American - Chocolate 29 350 5%
20 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
  • 1 oz Glacier Pellet 5.5 Dry Hop 0 days
    1 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 45 min 18.47
    1 oz Chinook Pellet 13 Boil 30 min 28.71
    1 oz Citra Pellet 11 Boil 5 min 6.3
    1 oz Centennial Pellet 10 Dry Hop 7 days
    1 oz Magnum Pellet 15 Boil 45 min 39.57

Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
40 qt Fly Sparge 153 F 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
1 tsp Irish Moss Fining Boil 15 min

Yeast
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Attenuation (avg):
75%
Flocculation:
Med-Low
Optimum Temp:
60 - 72 °F
Starter:
Yes
Fermentation Temp:
74 °F
Pitch Rate:
1.0 (M cells / ml / ° P)
477 B cells required

Thanks!

I'd advise you instead to brew a good Blonde or Pale Ale. The reasoning is as follows: You are changing a number of variables in your process, some of which have significant effects on your beer and some of which have subtle effects. In your double-black IPA, many of the subtleties will be masked by the high, floral hop nose and bitterness. My advice to those making the change to all-grain is the same as to someone just starting:

- Brew something very simple, light colored and not too hoppy
- Continue to brew it until it tastes the same every time

Once you've mastered the new process, you can branch out into exotic brews with confidence that your results are a result of your recipes. If you start at something dark and hoppy, you'll never know if you're doing it right until you make a light brew and it tastes like swamp water.

Id say this is whats driving your ABV up ,
6 lb American - Munich - Dark 20L 33 20 30%

Munich has a lot more diastatic properties than crystal

I not sure why you need to use that much, its also going to make the beer really sweet and not sure you want a really sweet hoppy beer, but if it works let us know

Nosybear said:
I'd advise you instead to brew a good Blonde or Pale Ale. The reasoning is as follows: You are changing a number of variables in your process, some of which have significant effects on your beer and some of which have subtle effects. In your double-black IPA, many of the subtleties will be masked by the high, floral hop nose and bitterness. My advice to those making the change to all-grain is the same as to someone just starting:

- Brew something very simple, light colored and not too hoppy
- Continue to brew it until it tastes the same every time

Once you've mastered the new process, you can branch out into exotic brews with confidence that your results are a result of your recipes. If you start at something dark and hoppy, you'll never know if you're doing it right until you make a light brew and it tastes like swamp water.

are you sure he meant it was his first all grain batch, or the first try at creating his own recipe? he could have several all grain kits under his belt.

Back