Beer with rose buds?

Tomislava

Trial Member
Reaction score
I would like to brew a beer with dried rose buds but I don't know how much to add to the boil? I read different sources but couldn't find an unanimous answer. I just know it should be the last 10 mins of the boil or so.

I would like to brew a beer with dried rose buds but I don't know how much to add to the boil? I read different sources but couldn't find an unanimous answer. I just know it should be the last 10 mins of the boil or so.
I have never used them, but my understanding is that they impart a fairly strong and noticeable flavor. That means, perhaps only 20 grams (dry) in 5 gallons.

I saw chef Bobby Flay use dried rose buds in a dish for 10 people, and he used three. Just three.

I have never used them, but my understanding is that they impart a fairly strong and noticeable flavor. That means, perhaps only 20 grams (dry) in 5 gallons.

I saw chef Bobby Flay use dried rose buds in a dish for 10 people, and he used three. Just three.
Thank you for the advice!

Were are you sourcing the roses? I'd look into what a safe, non toxic and definitely edible variety. Roses and beer..I dunno...there are better ways to get floral accents in your brew...is there as hop that imparts roses?

Were are you sourcing the roses? I'd look into what a safe, non toxic and definitely edible variety. Roses and beer..I dunno...there are better ways to get floral accents in your brew...is there as hop that imparts roses?
I bought the rose buds from an herb shop. They are intended to be drunk as a tea so I know they are safe. I have also tried beer with roses and I know it's a thing. I would love to use hops that give the same aroma but unfortunately where I live I don't have access to many hop varieties.

Practice with tea. Rose tea (black tea with rose buds, I think) is really good. You could try different strengths to get a feel for how much to use. I've always thought that this would be a good addition to a saison.

What type of beer are you making?

Back