Arithmetic Mean Beer!

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I took a look at my last few year's brew sessions and decided to see what an average beer of mine might look like.

Basically, if I took a bit of the 76 beers I made since 2019 and dumped it all into one big glass, what would it look like?

OG - 1.056
FG - 1.013
Attenuation - 77%
ABV - 5.7
IBU - 38
SRM - 17

So that one big glass of beer would be something like a (very complex :D) ESB or American Amber Ale!

Funny part is...I've never made an ESB and only one AAA (The Brew Mentor's "MentoRed"). Best I should get on these styles a bit more.

This was a rather pointless exercise, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

I took a look at my last few year's brew sessions and decided to see what an average beer of mine might look like.

Basically, if I took a bit of the 76 beers I made since 2019 and dumped it all into one big glass, what would it look like?

OG - 1.056
FG - 1.013
Attenuation - 77%
ABV - 5.7
IBU - 38
SRM - 17

So that one big glass of beer would be something like a (very complex :D) ESB or American Amber Ale!

Funny part is...I've never made an ESB and only one AAA (The Brew Mentor's "MentoRed"). Best I should get on these styles a bit more.

Math is never pointless! Especially beer math. So now, take the average grain bill and use that as the base fir a new recipe.

Hard to do that with yeast though.

OG - 1.056
FG - 1.013
Attenuation - 77%
ABV - 5.7
IBU - 38
SRM - 17

ESBs are simple and yummy. Go for it. Maris Otter/UK Medium Crystal/Fuggles/WLP002.

ESBs are simple and yummy. Go for it. Maris Otter/UK Medium Crystal/Fuggles/WLP002.
Yeah, I have an Ordinary Bitter that stays on repeat, but I've never pushed the envelope to an ESB for some reason.

I have the recipe I used as public. I enjoyed it. I played around with a tiny, tiny bit of Victory. I probably would leave it out the next time. I used a little brown sugar because that yeast does not attenuate worth a damn, and I used a little white wheat for head retention as I was bottling at the time.
Several of the recipes I saw were using different types of Crystal. I split it down the middle and used a pound of the medium UK. It worked out well and simplified things. I also didn't use the Chocolate Malt like the Fuller's recipe does.
There really isn't much difference in the Ordinary other than the malt/hop balance. It is a great beer and hard to find around here at the breweries.

Back