Any coffee roasters here?

MaxStout

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a discussion on roasting coffee. Anybody roast their own?
What methods do you use?
What equipment? Countertop roaster, fry pan, heat gun/bowl method, hot air popper, etc.?
What varieties of coffee do you enjoy?
Where do you like to buy green coffee?
What methods of brewing do you like? Pour-over, pressed, perc...?

My process is rather primitive: heat gun and a stainless steel bowl. I roast out in the garage, as the process is messy (lots of chaff) and it would set off my home smoke detectors. I don't have any temp monitoring, just use my ears to listen for first crack, second crack (if I'm roasting darker), and watch the color of the beans. Once I get it roasted to the level I want, I pour the beans into a colander set in a downdraft box connected to a shop vac to quickly cool the beans down.

I like light roasts, and have a preference for Central and South American beans, as they seem to be more forgiving. I have enjoyed some Papua New Guinea and Ethiopian coffee.

I do French presses, but when in a hurry, I like the refillable K-cup holders.

Roasting2.jpg

Roasting3.jpg

I've done a few dozen lbs but it's been awhile since I've taken a crack at it.

I used the flour sifter + heatgun method, smaller batch size but it does a good job with even roasting since it's heated almost entirely from convection and doesn't touch any surfaces.

I think @Josh Hughes has roasted coffee
Yes I do. Pretty unscientific approach for me. I use an air popper made for popcorn. I stir and let it go until I hear the second “pop” at her point it’s a medium dark roast. Sometimes I wait until I see some of the oils coming out and stop there. I buy beans that have the tasting notes for the roast I want.
https://www.sweetmarias.com/ Is where I buy

I don't roast any but sounds neat .
Actually met a diy roaster who had a pid setup for controlling his roasting he seemed as invested as my HBing electric setup.

My brew method on coffee is the Moca Cup Italian Espresso style.

Not roasting anything yet.
I'm waiting for my 2 coffee plants to start producing. Might be a while as they are only 30-40 cm high at the moment.

I buy coffee beans and hand grind with a burr grinder (I got limited electricity).
I use an aeropress when I make coffee just for myself, stainless steel French press when there are more people.

I have roasted a bit, much in the same way that @Josh Hughes mentioned above.
I like a light roast so I go to about 30 seconds past the first crack. Then I spread out on a cookie sheet to cool. After cool, into a paper bag to off gas for a day before grinding and roasting.
I love it and it's easy, but I have to make the time for it and the airpopper only makes enough for about a 1)2 a pot of coffee

I've never tried but this has my interest, though I really don't need another hobby to take up my time and space.

Do you all just buy green coffee beans or grow your own?
My coffee plants haven't really liked our last hot spell. Maybe they need to grow under shade cloth?

Do you all just buy green coffee beans or grow your own?
My coffee plants haven't really liked our last hot spell. Maybe they need to grow under shade cloth?
Coffee loves the climate i live in and thus it's actually a declared weed species here In SE Queensland.
Birds come and eat the seeds and disperse them in the local rainforest/woodlands and they go crazy.

My Mrs used to work in the environmental weeds department for local council and yeah she won't let me plant any in our yard I put up the white flag on that one :D.

1. Tea
1. Coffee
1. Beer
:p
And I need water to brew each of them

Back