American Pale Ale - first recipe, so it's an extract

Bens

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at creating a recipe, though I'm really only taking bits and pieces from many recipes to create something new for myself. So any feedback is welcome...I'm such a newbie. :?

Ok, my inspiration for this is New Glarius's Moon Man. It is billed as a session no-coast pale ale. I had it for the first time a few weeks ago and can't stop thinking about it. It's only available in WI and I don't make it there often enough to keep a steady supply. And really, I'd rather brew my own anyway!

I started out wanting to copy it, but now just want to create something similar. This beer smells citrusy when opening the bottle, but, man, when that first taste hits you, that citrus flower taste is a big one! The beer then finishes smooth with very little to no bitterness. A long time contributor on a forum tried to copy Moon Man, but said he came out too bitter with an IBU of 7, saying it has to be under 5,

So, here's my recipe:
6 lbs Gold LME
1 lb Golden Light DME
0.5 lbs Munich 10L
0.5 lbs Caramel 40L
According to the calculator, I'll have a OG of 1.048 and FG of 1.012
I plan on using Wyeast 1272.
I bought 1 oz each of these four hops:
Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, and Nelson Sauvin. My plan was to FWH 0.1 oz of each, which may be too much giving me an IBU of 6.5. And then I would dry hop the rest.

So, first, what do you think?

And then I have some questions...
Are those too many hops to dry hop? Is there a maximum level you can reach where adding in more hops will result in no further aroma or flavor?
When I add in the dry hopped hops in the recipe calculator, it doesn't seem to change any results. What am I doing wrong? Although they shouldn't show up as IBUs, right? So what units are they?
How do I determine quantities of dry hops to add so that one does not overwhelm another?

Thank you all for your help!

dry hoping only results in aroma not bitterness, the recipe looks good but 6.5 is way too low for bittering level, you need from 30 – 45 ibu level for a pale ale.

There are basically two types of hops.

Aroma hops have a lower alpha acid percentage and an oil profile associated with good aroma. These hops are generally used as a finishing or conditioning hop.

Bitter hops have a higher alpha acid percentage. These hops are generally used in the boiling process to extract bitterness.

Your friend probably meant 70 and 50 instead of 7 and 5.

I went back and checked what was said regarding the 5 and 7 IBUs and he was talking about FWH. I failed to read that he added more hops late in the boil.

What would've happened if I had gone ahead with that recipe? Too sweet without the bitterness to offset?

Here's what I was thinking now...what do you think?

Same fermentables, but different hop schedule:
0.5 oz Magnum FWH
0.5 oz Magnum 60 min.
0.2 oz Amarillo 10 min.
0.1 oz Nelson Sauvin 5 min.
0.1 oz Simcoe 5 min.
0.1 oz Citra 5 min.
According to the calculator, this will give me 33 IBUs.

Dry Hop 5-7 days:
0.8 oz Amarillo 10 min.
0.9 oz Nelson Sauvin 5 min.
0.9 oz Simcoe 5 min.
0.9 oz Citra 5 min.

Thanks everyone!

Back