All grain Hamm's recipe?

Beerbelly

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm originally from "The Land of Sky Blue Waters" (Uff Da!), now in Portland OR, and looking for a good recipe for Hamm's beer. Does anyone have one they've done, and if so, how did it turn out? I've seen a few online, but I'm hoping someone here has actually brewed some, and can report results and share their recipe. Thanks.

What are you looking for? It's been years since I have had a Hamm's beer, so I can't remember if there is anything particular about the beer.

I brew an American Lager that is really good, I'm not sure how close it is to Hamm's. But over the years I have changed it slightly to get a certain flavor from it. Most macro American lagers have an apple character to them that I hate, so I switched yeast and ended up with Fermentis 34/70 to get rid of the apple. The last one I brewed for NHC used Wyeast 2124. So far it's one of the best of the bunch; we'll see how well it fairs this year.

I have won 2 National Homebrew Comp medals for this beer, plus a boat load in other comps. It's a little unusual in that it uses German yeast and hops; the main adjunct is Minute Rice. It's very clean, light with a hint of sweetness (but still finishes dry) and just enough bitterness to keep it interesting. I really like this beer and I try to brew 3-4 times a year. It's really good in warmer weather with a burger or brat.

Take this recipe and tinker with it until you hit the flavor your looking for. Here you go:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/216382/standard-american-lager-ii-aka-lynns-lager

Edit: I'm still in Minnesota, so maybe I'll pick a six pack and check it out.

What are you looking for? It's been years since I have had a Hamm's beer, so I can't remember if there is anything particular about the beer.

I brew an American Lager that is really good, I'm not sure how close it is to Hamm's. But over the years I have changed it slightly to get a certain flavor from it. Most macro American lagers have an apple character to them that I hate, so I switched yeast and ended up with Fermentis 34/70 to get rid of the apple. The last one I brewed for NHC used Wyeast 2124. So far it's one of the best of the bunch; we'll see how well it fairs this year.

I have won 2 National Homebrew Comp medals for this beer, plus a boat load in other comps. It's a little unusual in that it uses German yeast and hops; the main adjunct is Minute Rice. It's very clean, light with a hint of sweetness (but still finishes dry) and just enough bitterness to keep it interesting. I really like this beer and I try to brew 3-4 times a year. It's really good in warmer weather with a burger or brat.

Take this recipe and tinker with it until you hit the flavor your looking for. Here you go:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/216382/standard-american-lager-ii-aka-lynns-lager

Take away the minute rice and you have a pretty solid German pilsner. I can see why people like it

Thanks for the recipe link.
Of all the domestic macro lagers I've tried, Hamm's seems to be the one with the most malt character. I like Coors Banquet also, but I'm always left with a "it's too sweet" feeling. Both use corn syrup, but I suspect Hamm's uses less. And I don't see any rice being used by either, so that's an ingredient I'll probably not use.
Any other recipes out there?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/216382/standard-american-lager-ii-aka-lynns-lagerbasketball stars unblocked

Thanks for your recipe.
It's really a perfect recipe for me. I made it successfully and that's right, it's so cool. I like it.

What if you replaced the Minute Rice with rice solids if you were looking for a way to boost the gravity without more pilsner malt?

Back