Advice on adding fruit.

I dump trub after the primary fermentation is nearly complete. Then I use my sous vide to pasteurize the fruit at low temps to kills off any wild stuff and then add that back into the fermenter.

I dump trub after the primary fermentation is nearly complete. Then I use my sous vide to pasteurize the fruit at low temps to kills off any wild stuff and then add that back into the fermenter.
Another great option you just gotta run it longer the cooler your pasturisation temp.

The fruit is currently frozen, the wort is currently in the fermenter and has started actively fermenting (c02 bubbles in the airlock) I was going to do the transfer in a couple days (about 4 days after being put in the fermenter) I have a food grade mesh bag I will sanitize and use for the fruit. And then let it sit for approximately 2 weeks.

Just thawing the fruit is enough or does it need to be mashed?

I don't have Metabisulphate, is there anything else I can or should do to help with oxygen or bacteria besides sanitize everything. I am transferring from a 6.5 gallon bucket to a sanitized 6.5 gallon bucket.
I second the advice to cold crash first before transferring. (if you will do so) It makes the yeast lazy and drops them out of suspension. I've done fruit in primary and secondary (and even once in the boil - never again!) and prefer secondary. (as a bright tank, without a yeast pitch) Be sure to use a racking cane so you fill into liquid and don't just drop it in splashing. Keep it cold (≈30℉) while it sits on fruit.

Most fruits work well at a ratio of 1#/gal, but some weak fruits require twice that. I go at least 48 hours, but judge it more by small taste samples before deciding to package.

I do 2 freeze-thaw-smash cycles in ziplocks and then thaw before adding. I once sanitized my hands and arms and squeezed the fruit bag and removed it before packaging. That got me maximum flavor. I've also used Pectic Enzyme with weak flavored fruit like Watermelon to boost it. I'm sure some folks will balk at the squeezing step, but it worked wonders on a brew that was destined for a festival. I've yet to try it on something that I planned to keep on hand for any length of time.

Back