5 gallon to 3 gallon

PapaPaulie

Premium Member
Reaction score
How do I convert a 5 gallon ingredients list from to 3 gallon? Do I take each ingredient divide by 5 and multiple by 3? Thanks

How do I convert a 5 gallon ingredients list from to 3 gallon? Do I take each ingredient divide by 5 and multiple by 3? Thanks

The easiest way to do it is EDIT the recipe and then select TOOLS / SCALE from the menu.

upload_2022-2-13_22-43-33.png

Then set your new size in the box provided.

All options should be scaled to suit the new size.
upload_2022-2-13_22-45-44.png

You can do as you say, multiply everything EXCEPT water by 3/5ths - your boil-off rate will be the same if you're using the same kettle and heat source or you can use the "scale" function of the recipe builder.

Actually, scaling up or down takes a little more than just multiplying or dividing.
As Nosybear mentioned above, the water usage will change.
In addition, the hop utilization will also change, so adjusting those may be needed.
My experience was mainly on the scaling up side and the more volume you change, the more pronounced the difference will be.
With as small of a change as you're making, I wouldn't worry about it.
Good luck.
Cheers
Brian

Anyone know what scaling up needs expert input?
Percentages don't scale up?
Probably due to what are minor rounding errors or formula imperfections at the homebrew scale become very large at the production brewery scale. Plus there is the fact that losing a batch of beer costs the professional brewer a lot more than the home brewer.

Back