Deschutes Red Chair Clone--Brewing this weekend

preheat to 172, is your grain stored in the fridge? usually its just 5 to 10 over but all in all the beer should taste great.

hint the Magnum will be much more bitter than Zeus even matching up the ibu

The AAU for the bittering hops is 16 (16 AA per 1 oz of Zeus). AA of Magnums is around 15, which would mean a negligible change in quantity at 1.06 oz. Are you saying that the Magnums will effect the flavor of the finished product enough to be detected in the flavor, even after boiling for 60 minutes?

Regarding the strike water temp, for whatever reason, my Igloo cooler mash tun absorbs a lot of heat. Even after pre-heating with a couple gallons for near boiling water for 15 minutes I still have to heat my strike water to 17 degrees above desired mash temp.

what I'm saying is side by side magnum has a harsher finishing bite using the same amount, at least in my brews

unless your looking for APA bitterness instead of IPA you probably won't know the difference

Use the Magnum at 60 mins and you should be okay. It's very good for neutral bitterness, not so good for flavor.

Back