Ramblings....

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just finished bottling the White House Honey Porter (an all-grain version I created from the recipe at whitehouse.gov). Nice beer - regardless of your political leanings I'd recommend it.
Tasted my Anno 2014 Maerzen - very nice, has the nutty/malty flavors I always wanted in a Maerzen but was never able to get. It has about two to three more weeks to lager, then packaging. Will likely be my Oktoberfest entry for this year. And yes, the name is a riff on Anno 1050.
Tasted my "Kentucky Funk", a funky version of a Kentucky Common. Hard to describe - the nose is almost cidery but no cider flavor in the beer, the beer itself has some rather interesting flavors. I've clarified it with gelatin - necessary due to a brewing error, I ran out of propane while trying to sanitize the wort prior to souring so didn't get a good hot break. I'm holding it cold for a while to clarify and clean up the flavors some more.
Koelsch/Koelleweizen is coming along nicely. The Koelleweizen is in the bottle and quite tasty (it's Koelsch fermented with Hefeweizen yeast). The Koelsch gets packaged on Wednesday.
Next brew is a Belgian Blonde made with homemade candi syrup. In planning, Agave Blonde and Berliner Weisse. I'd also like to try another Kotbusser.

Cheers!

I recall reading something about Kentucky Common .. that would be a fun one to brew simply for the fact that one does not just go to the store or local tap house and find a Kentucky Common.

Rambling: I stayed strong and did not change anything except mash temp in a recipe now brewed for the third time today. Many things came to mind as I consumed some (much) of the previous batch, and notes are made, but I followed through. So, now if I can just stay strong and not drink up the last six bottles from the last batch, I'll actually be able to compare results. (all the numbers between the last batch and this one were very close, so the process seemed to repeat .. except for the mash temp change I made).

The process engineer's emphasis on process seems to be wearing off! Good to hear.... And I hope the experiment comes out as you planned!

Nosy

I brewed by WHHP in Jan. Give it time. It improves dramatically over time

I am also now drinking all grain Zombie Dust clone. This is an amazing brew. I highly recommend to all!

Just took a stab at a Kentucky Common over the weekend. Got it sitting in the fermenter now :D If the wort was any indicator, it should be a nice little sipper when it's ready.

Back