This is Sparta! - Maple syrup apple cider

Colinus

Trial Member
Reaction score
Here is not a beer recipe, but a cider recipe. I live in apple and maple syrup country. In fact where I live (Québec), we produce 80% of the world's maple syrup. It will be a sparkling cider that is dry with a delicate apple and maple syrup aroma. Total cost is 48$ CAN with taxes included.

4 gallons (20l) fresh pressed Sparta variety apple juice with no additives.
1 gallon (4l) Grade A dark amber maple syrup
1 tsp White labs yeast nutrient
2 satchels Lalvin EC-1118

Juice and syrup was pasteurized at 145 °F (63 °C) for 30 minutes. Cooled to room temperature 72 °F (22 °C)in ice bath. Yeast was re-hydrated and pitched at 77 °F (25 °C). N.B. Two quarts of syrup was added for primary fermentation, and another 2 quarts will be added to secondary fermenter.

OG 1.078, expect FG to be around 1.018.

Bottle conditioning to use 1 quart of Grade A dark amber maple syrup.

Mmmmm....maple syrup! If you think you will be primarily making ciders you should try this yeast -->Wyeast 4184. I've used a few types of yeast for my cider recipes and this is my favorite so far.

Yes, would like to try that yeast. You know there are almost as many varieties of cider as there are varieties of beer. If you have access to the fresh local juice, welcome to Nirvana. All my favorite local brewpubs in Montreal have at least 1 cider on tap. I have used EC-1118 for many years. I know its idiosyncrasies fairly well. It is a my preferred yeast for anywhere la methode champagnoise is called for. That is, a very effervescent carbonation with little or no body to the head, but the the body of liquid will sparkle for ever in with very small bubbles.

For beers, that are lighter in color and are doppel or trippel in style, I will add a half a table spoon to a well filtered secondary fermenter. I have a cold room so I can conditon the beer at lower temperatures. At this time, I have a Belgian style trippel bottle conditioning with it. You must be patient with this yeast. I will taste it a its 2 month mark.

Buy the way, it makes a smashing sparkling mead and wine. My wife and her friend especially like the sparkling wine I make. This yeast makes it through the coarse filter, and leaves no deposit in the the wine bottle.

I realize this is a zombie thread, but I'll throw this on here in case it still pings any of the OPs. Just started a batch of cider. 5 gallons pasteurized (by me) cider, 5.5 lbs lt brown sugar, half gallon water, and 2/3 pt maple syrup. Heated the cider to 140 and held for 20 minutes after dissolving the sugar and syrup. Normally would go 5gallons and 5lbs, but using a larger fermentor, so I added the syrup, water and the extra half pound of sugar to bulk it up a bit, and also for possible nutrients from the syrup. Added hot to carboy. Don't know if it will make a difference, but possibly it will provide an extra level of pasteurization there as well. Obviously cleaned and sanitized the carboy first, but I don't brew in a "clean room" so it can't hurt. Cooled the whole shebang in the carboy with airlock (cheap vodka) in place, in a cold water bath. Got it to a little above room temp (+/- 75F) and pitched the yeast. Yeast is Vintners Harvest AW4 8gram packet. Supposedly ferments best at 68-77F. Comments, critiques, suggestions and sundry appreciated. Considering adding ginger and/or orange zest in the secondary. I have found ginger to be relatively stable, but if anyone has experiences with it or orange zest in brews advice is appreciated.

If I asked for a show of hands for who brews in a clean room, I’d get 0 hands. RDWHAHB!

Back