Rye Cream Ale

I gotta be honest. I can tell a huge difference with rye whiskey vs others, say corn, barley, or wheat. But I've never perceived much if anything flavor wise with rye in a beer malt bill. I can detect a bit more creamy mouthfeel maybe, but not so much of the spicy that others perceive. I wonder if my taster is broken. Maybe I need to try it in something lighter like a cream ale.

I will say I've burned up heating elements from pushing rye over 20% of the grain bill.

Sounds like an interesting beer. I wonder if the rye will come through more as it carbonates fully and as the hops fall out some. Please keep us posted. Thanks! Cheers :)

Surprised the rye at 12.5% didn't come through a little more. But maybe Group W is right and the Cream Ale will age in that direction. Keep us posted. I have (long term) plans for a Rye Saison, and your sharing real world results with this grain is very helpful.

I gotta be honest. I can tell a huge difference with rye whiskey vs others, say corn, barley, or wheat. But I've never perceived much if anything flavor wise with rye in a beer malt bill. I can detect a bit more creamy mouthfeel maybe, but not so much of the spicy that others perceive. I wonder if my taster is broken. Maybe I need to try it in something lighter like a cream ale.

I will say I've burned up heating elements from pushing rye over 20% of the grain bill.
Ditto here. I, too, have wondered about "spiciness" from rye. A local brewery has a rye pale ale but still, the beer is good but zilch on the spice.

I just thought of a experiment I may try: Brew a beer with flaked wheat and copy the recipe using flaked rye. Then triangle test it. Would be interesting to see what comes of it.

I like that. Flaked rye is even more subtle than normal rye which is why I went with rye malt. The spicy character I get from rye is more of a sensation that a flavor. Almost a pepper type sensation but still subtle.

I haven't actually brewed with rye, I have tried a few commercial rye IPA's and didn't care for them. Maybe it wasn't the rye that I didn't care for, maybe they just weren't well made beers...

Same. I've got a mate who can detect it easily and I ask him to describe what he's tasting and I can never get it.

I'm guessing it's one of those flavors that come through as tasting different to different people. Like dms some people get corn others cabbage. Others even oysters. So some people might get the as spicy others something completely different or not much at all.

I'm guessing it's one of those flavors that come through as tasting different to different people. Like dms some people get corn others cabbage. Others even oysters. So some people might get the as spicy others something completely different or not much at all.
That's true with all flavors. I'm still going to do the test.

Back