OG and FG readings

brewmaniac

Trial Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one out there who does not even bother to take OG and FG readings?
I actually do own a hydrometer. For about two years now I"ve been brewing some fantastic Ales, Porters, and Stouts. I just don't bother with the hydrometer. Is there anyone else out there who omits this step?

Well, I can get how you might not feel the need, but I'm an anal controlling m'fer who, given the chance to measure record, measure record, analyze, adjust, measure, record, measure record, .... will always do so.
So ya, I'm taking OG, OG and FG, FG, FG; I use the hydrometer, it got replaced when the first one broke, and I should buy a set of the more accurate hydrometers, but some of these days I'll belly up the 60 bucks or so for the refractometer, so I can get real time first runnings, second runnings, pre-boil...
But, I'm an anal controlling ocd m'fer .. who ultimately will RDWHAHB, but will have all the data to go with it, but I can see doing it without the data too. Make good beer, enjoy. :D

I always do and I know that my beers will turn out just fine without doing it but I write down as much information as I can to try to improve the beer I make and to make sure the numbers are where they are suppose to be.

I've been wanting to get a refractometer to get better data pre-fermentation but I'd really like to have one for post fermentation so I'm not stealing small quantities of deliciousness. But I've heard they are very inaccurate for post fermentation even with the use of software corrections.

honestly once you get your recipe correct with the settings on the website and things come out very close for years in my case I see no need to take readings, I will take a final hydrometer reading just to see if fermentation is done other than that its just repetitive

also there are so many things beyond our control that can change readings, water, humidity, evaporation, yeast issues which is very unpredictable in my book

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
honestly once you get your recipe correct with the settings on the website and things come out very close for years in my case I see no need to take readings, I will take a final hydrometer reading just to see if fermentation is done other than that its just repetitive

also there are so many things beyond our control that can change readings, water, humidity, evaporation, yeast issues which is very unpredictable in my book

I am of this school myself I have couple recipes that I brew often enough that I will take reading before I boil the wort and then one right before kegging

in the end it is beer

all the best

S_M

I used to bother with the readings, but now I use the same old recipes and everything is already tested. Don't do it anymore.

I always measure my FG. I have a Blichmann conical and on day 12 or so I'll sample it. May as well take a reading at this stage.

In a sense, measurement is not necessary. My engineering brain rebels at that thought. I measure everything I can, gravity, temperature, pH, volume, mass. I suppose none of those are really necessary - beer was produced long before we knew anything about those quantities. But I want to know so next time, if there's a difference between what I expect and what I get, I can go back and see what was different. It's called repeatability and reliability.

I broke my hydrometer when taking a starting gravity one day. I thought what the heck, I've made this before and usually I'm close with the numbers. I must say, it drove me nuts. I must have OCD because I was wondering if it was right until the batch was gone. It even tasted good. I bought another hydrometer for the next batch and broke it before I had a chance to use it. Next time I bought two.

So yes, gravity readings are important to me.

If I brew an extract batch I may skip the gravity reading for OG and accept the program estimate. I will normally take readings for FG readings to determine when fermenting is finished, or at a point I can package.

There are many reasons to take hydrometer readings but if it's needed to make good beer is a debatable topic. For repeatable beer yes you need to, for reasons Noseybear points out. But if you use a consistent clean process the beer should come out just fine either way. I don't think back in the 1700's they would rush away from a brew day because they dropped the hydrometer :lol: . I take lots of readings like each batch sparge run, preboil and so on but only to see if I'm reaching my efficiency numbers. It is nice to taste the wort and beer along the way too. :)

My beers have improved over time, as I made more notes and kept track of the particulars. Is that because I took hydrometer readings? More likely it is because I paid more attention to details. Hydro readings are not necessary to make good beer. Brew the way that works for you. If you like your beer that's all that maters.

GernBlanston said:
Brew the way that works for you. If you like your beer that's all that maters.

in the end :) that is all the matters

you can make brewing as hard or as easy as you want, if I want Heady Topper I will buy it not make it

all the best

S_M

Back