Water calc, not factoring in cooling shrinkage?

raysv

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive tried tuning the equipment profile for a Speidel Braumeister 20L, however, i don't get the mash water calcuqlations to add up, looks like no matter what i set as a shrinkage %, the calculator dosn't add any water to my recepies.. 4% and 10% gives the same amount of water.

Known bug or me doing anything wrong?

besides the profile settings it also reads your recipe batch size and the bib settings doesn't split up water for mash and sparge.

the batch size remains the same, and the total water stays the same no matter what i set the cooling shrinkage too :) i guess thats why it says i need alittle less water in total than BS

actually all my losses are set to 0, except for grain abs and cooling shrinkage, Chaging the grain absorbtion works, but not shrinkage :(

I do know that i will have looses, I also use 0 on the looses in BS since i don't care about the program calculating BH effenciency etz, i only care about mash effencienciy so no point in haveing the software calculate the other stuff. I find it easier. I know i loose X number of litres to looses, so just adjust my batch size accordingly..

But that dosn't actually have anything to do with this that cooling shrinkage dosn't do anything for the total water required :) Setting cooling shrinkage from 4 to 10% should have done something with the total amount of water its suggesting.

Im pretty sure the formula is all tied in together, the shrinkage will come into play if everything else is added correctly

Added rest of the loses aswell, cooling shrinkage do still not do anything.

Hm, I have to re-vive this thread. I have the same problem. Calculator is telling me with 34L pre boil volume I will have 29.5L amount in kettle at end of boil counting boil off losses (4.5L). This is OK but the problem is after cooling I have 1.2L less (4%) because of cooling shrinkage as predicted by calculator (26.2L). So I can't put into fermenter 26.2L (3L trub loss and 0.3 hop loss). I would expect it shows me I can rack exactly 25L into a fermenter.... Am I'm missing something here ? Thanks for explanation.

Back