Fruit IPA?

Cavebrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I was at my local homebrew store yesterday and got a really good deal on a 33lb jug of light LME. My plan is to make 3 separate 5 gallon IPA batches with 11lbs each. I want all 3 to be slightly different, so I'm thinking of maybe adding fruit of some kind. I've seen quite a few IPAs that use mango, but I'm wondering what else I could try. Any suggestions?

Recipe has 11lbs of light LME, 6oz of Falconer's Flight hops, and 1lb of crystal 60l steeping grains.

The first thing that comes to mind is citrus. Lemon or grapefruit would seem nice, especially since Citra hops, very grapefruity, are sometimes used to dry-hop. Given the bitterness, I'd think it would be hard not to get a vaguely poisonous tasting blend with fruit, particularly if the fruit ferments.

first most people are adding fruit peels not the actual fruit
grab a neutral type of beer, add some fruit stir and let it set for 3 hours, try 3 or 4

this can only be added to a secondary for flavor because all fruit ferments like crazy

I think I'd skip on adding fruit and just try a few different hop combinations.
Citrus, Pine, Tropical, Herbal, Spicey

MrBIP said:
I think I'd skip on adding fruit and just try a few different hop combinations.
Citrus, Pine, Tropical, Herbal, Spicey

I think I might skip the fruit. I want to experiment with adding the malt at different times in the boil. Every other brew I've done has been all malt in the beginning so I want to try some late additions and see how the batches change.

As for the hops, I've heard a lot of good things about the Falconer's Flight IPA, and I save a lot of money if I just buy it by the pound. These 15 gallons of beer are going to end up costing just under $15 a case, which is hard to beat for an 8% IPA.

You might still try some fruit peels - citrus in particular can be nice in beers. Wits use orange and coriander, for example, and I've tried some nice lemon wheats.

Maybe try different yeasts in all of them as well to mix it up and bring out different flavors.

I washed the yeast from my last batch (1st time trying it) so maybe I'll try washed yeast in 1, dry yeast in another, and buy a new liquid yeast in the 3rd. Maybe I'll throw some orange peels into 1 or 2 of them too, what's the worst that could happen?

Back