Gelatin Fining

I add one tsp gelatin to 1/2 cup of straight tap water, let sit for 15 minutes, microwave for 34s (which gets me to the desired temp), add to 30F beer, and let sit 2-3 days. German Pils was crystal clear transferring to keg yesterday. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
You don’t have to let gelatin bloom. Just boil the water to sanitize and de-aerate, remove from heat, add gelatin immediately, stir to dissolve and add it to cold beer. The tempature of the water can be at or near boiling, it doesn’t affect the effectiveness of it’s clearing abilities.

Sorry to dig this up from the past few months. But having an issue with my Helles I've fined with Gelatin.

Last night, I boiled up some water, added 3/4 teaspoon(measured spoon) into 100ml water that I boiled and left to chill for about 5 mins and added to the keg. I then transfered the Helles to the keg as I usually would do. I pulled a small sample(about a quater of a pint) as I usually do 12 hours later to see how the carbonation is and see how the gelatin is working.

I took a sip and noticed small amounts of jelly, so poured through a seive and yes, there is a small amount in the beer. So instant sad face/annoyance with myself as I've went wrong somewhere.

My question is, will they eventually settle down in keg and I'll have usual clear beer, Or should I look at purchasing a filter to remove the gelatin?

Edit: Just remembered I also have some Brausol special, which is a Silica based liquid. I know its positive charged where Gelatin is negative.

Sorry to dig this up from the past few months. But having an issue with my Helles I've fined with Gelatin.

Last night, I boiled up some water, added 3/4 teaspoon(measured spoon) into 100ml water that I boiled and left to chill for about 5 mins and added to the keg. I then transfered the Helles to the keg as I usually would do. I pulled a small sample(about a quater of a pint) as I usually do 12 hours later to see how the carbonation is and see how the gelatin is working.

I took a sip and noticed small amounts of jelly, so poured through a seive and yes, there is a small amount in the beer. So instant sad face/annoyance with myself as I've went wrong somewhere.

My question is, will they eventually settle down in keg and I'll have usual clear beer, Or should I look at purchasing a filter to remove the gelatin?
I've only had this happen once and only noticed when keg had kicked and I saw a clear booger like thing at bottom of keg and thought that's the geletin.
So I recon this is a one off and just make sure the geletin is well desolved and mixed into solution before adding to keg. Another thing you can do is start transfer and add geletin about a quarter Into transfer.

I do 1/2 teaspoon / 1/2 cup of water
Always add when your beer is cold for best results.

I've only had this happen once and only noticed when keg had kicked and I saw a clear booger like thing at bottom of keg and thought that's the geletin.
So I recon this is a one off and just make sure the geletin is well desolved and mixed into solution before adding to keg. Another thing you can do is start transfer and add geletin about a quarter Into transfer.

I do 1/2 teaspoon / 1/2 cup of water
Always add when your beer is cold for best results.
Yeah, It's pretty much Clear booger like things. I just can't think where I went wrong or done something differently. The gelatin/water mix was clear and fully disolved. The Beer was 1c and I agitated lightly once full.

I'll wait a few days before taking another sample before looking at doing something else. Guess this means I need to brew another batch this weekend....just incase.

Yeah, It's pretty much Clear booger like things. I just can't think where I went wrong or done something differently. The gelatin/water mix was clear and fully disolved. The Beer was 1c and I agitated lightly once full.

I'll wait a few days before taking another sample before looking at doing something else. Guess this means I need to brew another batch this weekend....just incase.
Na surely not. If you don't trim your dip tubes in keg then that glob woulda probably slid down right under the pick up and that's what you got on your first draught woulda been a big Goobie yuk! But after a another draught or two it should pull clear and we know it'll clear all by itself in a month or so but it shouldn't ruin your beer.

Na surely not. If you don't trim your dip tubes in keg then that glob woulda probably slid down right under the pick up and that's what you got on your first draught woulda been a big Goobie yuk! But after a another draught or two it should pull clear and we know it'll clear all by itself in a month or so but it shouldn't ruin your beer.
Unfortunately haven't cut my dip tube. I am considering replacing with a ball float but never really considered taking the inch or so off my dip. I may however look at doing this next.

Unfortunately haven't cut my dip tube. I am considering replacing with a ball float but never really considered taking the inch or so off my dip. I may however look at doing this next.
You only sacrifice a few ounces at the end of the keg, but it really helps. Especially with late hop additions.

Edit: Just remembered I also have some Brausol special, which is a Silica based liquid. I know its positive charged where Gelatin is negative.
It should eventually settle to the bottom. What happened to cause the jelly was you didn't stir it in well enough. Same thing has happened to me but it eventually settled out.

I pulled a small sample(about a quater of a pint) as I usually do 12 hours later to see how the carbonation is and see how the gelatin is working.
I wouldn't expect to clear that quickly, the gelatin takes 36-48 hours to settle out. Even PVPP takes a while, sometimes up to a week or more. The results are a beer that is just as clear a filtered beer. But it takes at least 36-48 hours for gelatin to clear. Even if finings aren't used, cold crashing a beer drops out a lot of unwanted debris.

Stir what? When I fine I literally just dissolve it in hot water and pour it in the fermentor. It all settles to the bottom and clumps up, I've done it in the keg a few times and got a bit in the first few pours but otherwise never really had any issues.

I've kind of stopped fining lately because the brew buckets are a bit of a pain to put in the fridge.

I used Gelatin Fining for the 1st time with a Belgian Golden Strong. It was not just hazy it was cloudy. I added the 1/2 TSP Gelatin to the Secondary before moving to the Keg. After 2 days I pulled a glass from the Keg & got a glass full of Gradoo. Oh Crap, now what? 2 days later the beer was clear as glass. I decided a while ago to cut 1/2" off the end of the Out Tube as I was picking up settlement. Sure glad I did but that would suggest the Settlement was pretty deep in the bottom of the keg. Hazy is OK but cloudy is not.

I used Gelatin Fining for the 1st time with a Belgian Golden Strong. It was not just hazy it was cloudy. I added the 1/2 TSP Gelatin to the Secondary before moving to the Keg. After 2 days I pulled a glass from the Keg & got a glass full of Gradoo. Oh Crap, now what? 2 days later the beer was clear as glass. I decided a while ago to cut 1/2" off the end of the Out Tube as I was picking up settlement. Sure glad I did but that would suggest the Settlement was pretty deep in the bottom of the keg. Hazy is OK but cloudy is not.

Did you add gelatin powder directly without dissolving it?

I'm interested in that, too. Gelatin usually works in two days.

I have used gelatin to clear haze from beers before but, does anyone have experience with using it for larger particles? I was thinking of adding it to the secondary of my spiced stout (vanilla, cinnamon, coffee) to pull out the little seeds and and dust particulate. In the past I have had issues with excessive foaming in spiced beers, which I contribute (erroneously or not) to the fine grained dust introduced with dried spices. Thoughts?

Yes it works to s degree, I've had to use it twice in my keg, it only works fast when the beer is very cold

I have used gelatin to clear haze from beers before but, does anyone have experience with using it for larger particles? I was thinking of adding it to the secondary of my spiced stout (vanilla, cinnamon, coffee) to pull out the little seeds and and dust particulate. In the past I have had issues with excessive foaming in spiced beers, which I contribute (erroneously or not) to the fine grained dust introduced with dried spices. Thoughts?
Pity you can't run it through a fine filter like a sive to get these larger particles.

Won't those particles settle out if you let the grain sit long enough? If not, I'd recommend you get a two-stage fining agent like Super-Kleer. It has finings for both positive and negatively charged particles.

Back