What's the plan for the ingredients/brands?

jdotk

Trial Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that you guys are trying to make things better, but what's the plan regarding ingredients and brands? I think some more beta testing should have been done before this was rolled out to everyone.

Lately it's just been frustrating trying to use the software when it's changing all the time and trying to match up what's in my inventory with the new brands and then applying that to recipes. None of these changes have added value to me, if anything, they've made me consider looking at other brewing software options.

I appreciate that you guys are trying to make things better, but what's the plan regarding ingredients and brands? I think some more beta testing should have been done before this was rolled out to everyone.

Lately it's just been frustrating trying to use the software when it's changing all the time and trying to match up what's in my inventory with the new brands and then applying that to recipes. None of these changes have added value to me, if anything, they've made me consider looking at other brewing software options.

We have the "generic" choices as well, so that you can match up with your inventory if that's what you have.

The brands have been added because many brewers have noticed a large difference between, for example, "US- Brewer's Two-row pale malt". Differences in flavor, yes, but also in mash pH. For instance, Rahr base malt has a DI mash pH of 5.5, compared to Briess' at something closer to 6 (can't remember exactly at this moment, sorry). That makes a huge difference in my mash pH and water additions, but they are both US malts, two row barley pale malt. Once they are all in there, you will be able to find what you are looking for much quicker and easier or if you don't care (or know) you can use the same ones as before

I agree with brewer 63707. On my android tablet the list of grains is completely unmanageable. Would it be possible to group/label by the country of origin and then sort by malt type and THEN by brand? I actually think that it's not practical to try to maintain all the grains over time. BTW, flaked wheat appears under fermentables and under adjuncts. I have solved the big brand differences by creating custom fermentables for my lhbs, but I still use some generics. Now that has gotten really difficult.

I would also appreciate changes being made more carefully and sticking to the basics. The brew session graphics are fine for some brewers, but for me they are irritating. Perhaps you could put some of these bells and whistles on a separate page. I'm still looking for the PBG to be fixed.

Thanks, PZ

PS: I believe that the Avangard dark Munich should be 15.5 L, not 15.5 SRM. Not sure what value SRM adds.

I would also appreciate changes being made more carefully and sticking to the basics. The brew session graphics are fine for some brewers, but for me they are irritating. /QUOTE]
You can turn off the graphics in your settjngs now

You can turn off the graphics in your settjngs now

Where is the setting to turn off graphics? Thought it would be on the preferences page, but I can't find it there or anyplace else. Thanks.

Where is the setting to turn off graphics? Thought it would be on the preferences page, but I can't find it there or anyplace else. Thanks.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/general_settings

Screenshot 2019-01-21 20.22.55.png

Looks like the country of origin has been added back, but now custom fermentables, which I use almost exclusively, do not work for edits and do not appear on the dropdown box.

Looks like the country of origin has been added back, but now custom fermentables, which I use almost exclusively, do not work for edits and do not appear on the dropdown box.

We are working on on this to fix right away. I'll keep you posted!

Back