Zombie Dust clone

Krimbos

Trial Member
Reaction score
There is an AG and extract recipe in the recipe section with many views and several brews.

Has anyone tried it?

No, but a fellow brewer friend has brewed a zombie dust clone a couple of time and it's fantastic. I think he sent me the recipe once on email, but I never compared to what is here. I could get that one for you if you want something "verified". That would be an AG recipe.

Yep, here it is. I didn't compare this to the one here. It might be the same thing.

ZOMBIE DUST

Method: all grain
Boil time: 60 minutes
Boil size: 7 gallons
Original gravity 1.061
Final gravity 1.017
IBU 62.31
ABV 5.8%

11.75 lb. pale 2-row
1.13 lb. Munich- light 10L
0.5 lb. Carafoam
0.5 lb. Crystal 60L
0.5 lb. melanoidin

0.75 oz. Citra 60 min boil
1.25 oz. Citra 15 min boil
1.25 oz. Citra 10 min boil
1.25 oz. Citra 5 min boil
1.25 oz. Citra 1 min boil
3 oz. Citra 7 days dry, in secondary ( I left in primary about 5 days, secondary 10 days)

Mash: 22 qt 155F 60 min
Yeast fermentis safale S-04
Carbonate to 2.2 times, approx. 3.6 oz. priming sugar

Had the real thing at a local watering hole this evening. Pretty damn good!

there's 2 on here if you search, one is an extract or partial but both pretty darn close, one is for 6 the other 5.5 , gotta like citra and bitterness cause thats all there is lol

Did a search and found the much viewed and brewed zombie dust clone; very much the same as what I posted yesterday, only the hop schedule is a bit different. Have not tried the real official zombie dust myself, so can't say if the recipe makes a good clone or not, but it does make a good beer. Citra Hops. Can't go wrong with Citra Hops.

Looks like a nice little IPA. Hop bill might be a bit one-dimensional.

I actually found the extract clone recipe on here and brewed it last week. I'm hoping it turns out well. Thr3e Floyds is definitely an interesting brewery; quirky would be a good way to put it. I'm not really pleased with their marketing methods, if that's indeed what they are. You see, they only distribute very limited quantities, which I believe is more about creating unnecessary demand than it is due to lack of product. Who knows, I could be wrong. And they have done a very good job of creating a buzz and making their beer sought-after, so good on them for that.
I love Alpha King, a really hoppy APA, and Gumballhead is phenomenal. GBH uses only Amarillo hops, 6 different additions. I just picked up a bomber of their Eternal Funeral, which is a very bright, very hoppy APA brewed in conjunction with the band Pig Destroyer. Hey, I said they were quirky, right?

I think my next IPA effort will be something like the Dry Dock's double IPA. The grain bill is stupid-simple, lots of Golden Promise and a few moments of silence for everything else, yielding a nice, sweet base. Then hops. Lots of hops. Hops added every way possible to a brew from mash through FWH to dry hopping. I have the recipe for their GABF-winning Enterprise IPA as well. The grain bill is more complex but still sweet, a great balance for the hops. My "style" of IPA isn't the Stone Brewing, tongue-ripping bitterness, rather a complex blend of hop flavors and aromas over a sweet, rather simple base. My own pale ale base is effectively two-row and Crystal, which Crystal I use is dependent on the effect I want.

Good to see all of you back and hope you had a merry Christmas and wishing you a happy New Year as well. Let's brew some great beers in 2014!

Evan - interested in hearing your results!

WE should schedule a meeting in Munster in 2014

Krimbos said:
Evan - interested in hearing your results!

WE should schedule a meeting in Munster in 2014

Might have to work that out. I'd even say Crown Beer Fest in Crown Point, since tons of Illiana brewers are there and you can pretty much sample until your heart's content. However, after purchasing my VIP tickets, I was reminded that a good friend is getting married that day. The tickets will probably sell out soon, so I'd recommend anyone in the IN/IL areas buying online ASAP. I'd sell you mine, but I'm actually hoping to unload them after they sell out; you know, supply and demand. However, I'd be more than willing to sell them to someone on BF for face if the VIP tix are sold out through Crown.

I was wrong on the name of the beer I just got; it's Permanent Funeral, not Eternal Funeral. Either way, it was tasty. I've heard mixed reviews on DL Day; I know some people who go all the time and they've said that it's gotten too hyped up in recent years, things got too crowded and then had to be scaled back. That could be a minority opinion though.

My clone is coming along quite nicely. Primary fermentation is complete and I've begun dry hopping with 3oz of Citra. In the past, I have just tossed the hops right into the pool, but I'm doing the weighted/suspended muslin bag this time around. Not the most fun getting it into the small mouth on the carboy, but I'm hoping for better results. The sample tasted and smelled really good already too; great clean bitterness and flavor. After brewing darker beers for the last couple months, it'll be nice to have an APA on tap. The problem is that I can't get the real thing for comparison.

Stuffing 3 oz in a bag though a narrow opening would be a challenge!

The Better Bottle has a wider opening, making it easier

Definately need to upgrade to the new wide mouth from Northern

Did you use pellets or whole?

I used pellet hops, so didn't take up quite as much space as what the leaf hops would've. I've always just thrown them in, but then they'll float around on the top and not be utilized as well. Of course, I would give a gentle spin to force some of the material to sink down through the beer before floating back up.

Kegged this fine brew on Wednesday and I'm very pleased with the results from the samples I have pulled. As I've stated before, I enjoy taking smallish samples from my beer throughout the kegging process. Call it impatience if you like, but I honestly enjoy the evolution from flat to fully carbed; even flat, this is a clean beer with nice bitterness and good flavor. The aroma, of course, is hindered by the lack of CO2, but even flat it's nice. Very happy with the results.

I think it was Nosy who lamented Mosaic hops a while back, and I must say that I find the same cat pee aroma to be characteristic of Citra. Citra Dog IPA is very much in that boat (ironic that a beer with "Dog" in the name smells like cat pee), but in a good way inasmuch as that's even possible. Zombie Dust uses all Citra as well, so you've got more of the same here, but again, it's in a good way. I know that I'm being less than complimentary in my description, but this is a good one.

I love Citra hops! Never been a cat person, so not very familiar with cat piss smell

Evan, I am coming over before your current lineup goes down swinging.
You have the best names ever

May I suggest for your clone - Zambrano Bites the Dust ZD Clone

And You need to create a brew to honor Maddux and Thomas, no?

Krimbos said:
May I suggest for your clone - Zambrano Bites the Dust ZD Clone

And You need to create a brew to honor Maddux and Thomas, no?

Frank's already got Big Hurt beer, though I'm not so sure I want to emulate that. Mad Dog, Big Hurt = Big Dog, Mad Hurt?

Next up will be Night Game Black IPA and Matinee Whit IPA. I've been asked to brew some beer for a buddy's wedding reception in May so I want to dial those recipes in; figured black and white would be cool for bride and groom.

Oh, wow, this stuff is so good. I am very pleased with the results now that it's almost fully carbonated. I'm telling you, it's just a nice APA with clean bitterness and a really nice aroma.

Back