my starter is ruined ?

brewbuck

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi , I made a starter last sunday becaise I was suppose to brew last week......finally I changed my brew day to next week ......
My starter stay in the dark at 21°c ........
I would like to know if I need to put new wort on it to refresh it...or if its better to do a new one
thanks

first smell it, make sure it smells like yeast not soured, look at the color, is it cream color still or light brown, if all is good, decant the liquid as much as you can, add some corn sugar and a few sprinkles of yeast nutrient, swish it around, let it sit for half an hour at least, it should be good if you see life

Yeast under beer is remarkably stable - your starter should be okay. If you want to pep it up a little, decant and feed the yeast some wort but it should be fine without any help. You did say it was just a week old, right?

it smell good and look good the yeast is not Brown
if I understand , I would have better done to put it in the refrigerator

Yeast stays fine in a cake under beer for 2 to 3 weeks in primary all the time. No worries as long a no bad things got into container.

And if I refregirated it how long it can be good.........and what is the process before pitching it whe. Its out of the frige

6 months is the standard time people go by but saving it that long would need some nourishment to keep alive, just decant, pour into a sealed container, stick in the fridge and leave it alone until needed.

When needed, warm to room temperature, shake it until all the sludge solidifies, sanitize everything, container and hands, anything that would touch the yeast. either add to another starter or pitch directly into the carboy

Back