Cocoa nibs & coffee

UB2

Trial Member
Reaction score
What is the preferred method for adding these favors?

Cocoa: Three ways - first, add to the mash. The mashing process will extract the flavors nicely and give a "chocolatey" flavor. Second - add to the boil with 5-10 minutes remaining. Full disclosure - I haven't used this method. Third, add either cocoa nibs, powder, or chocolate syrup to secondary. Again, I haven't tried this one, I like mashing the cocoa powder so much.

Coffee: Haven't done it but when I do (it's inevitable I'll do a coffee stout at some point), I'll cold-brew my coffee, then test the proportion to add. You can add hot-brewed coffee or coffee beans/powder - I'd generally say secondary would be the place and you want to test to make sure the flavor is where you want it. I did chicory using a tea and got a nice, balanced flavor through trial and error.

On spices/flavor additions in general: Be sure to test. Invest in some basic measuring equipment - a pipette and a graduated cylinder - and test your additions. Teas, tinctures or other solutions of the flavor/spice are a great way to do this. And generally, if you're adding stuff directly to the beer, undershoot. It's a lot easier to add more than to take some out!

Thanks so much! Too late for mash, ( boil started 10 minutes ago, nothing like winging it). I will let you know how this plays out. I will add nibs to the boil late and add cooled, strong brewed coffee to the primary. Wish me luck! I have experimented before in other ways and find that to be the most enjoyable and I haven't made a stinker yet.
I appreciated your timely response, thanks again.

Hubie

Nosybear said:
Cocoa: Three ways - first, add to the mash. The mashing process will extract the flavors nicely and give a "chocolatey" flavor.

How much Cocoa did you add to the mash?

Dan

I added four ounces of cocoa powder to the mash. I've also added a can of Hershey's syrup to a 2.5 gallon secondary to get some cocoa flavor in the beer - advantage, the syrup is fat-free and the yeast eat the sugar, disadvantage, it contains preservatives. If I'm ever to do that one again, I'll go out on the Internet and find some home-made syrup recipes and avoid the preservatives.

Nosybear said:
I added four ounces of cocoa powder to the mash.

Was this a 5 gallon batch? The reason I ask is I have added 6 oz of cocoa powder to the boil (10 min) that turned out good. I also added the Hershey's syrup (30 oz) in secondary with good results but had the extra hassle of racking the beer to a secondary FV. So the next time I thought I would try the addition in the mash.

5.5 gal. Amount depends on the effect you want - if you want strong cocoa/chocolate go for more. If you want chocolate, add some vanilla.

coffee grinds in mash, do NOT BOIL... you'll get bitterness like you would if you boil grains.

Other options for coffee flavors include extremely dark roasted grains and chicory. I used chicory to good effect in an imperial brown ale. With the grains you have to be careful - coffee and cocoa are very close flavors but if you choose the dark grain correctly, you'll get coffee flavor without ever setting foot in a Starbucks. Added benefit: No caffeine.

Depends on when you drink your beer. You drink it in the morning, I can see a benefit but if you drink it in the evening as I do, then there could be problems.... ;-)

Nosybear said:
Depends on when you drink your beer. You drink it in the morning, I can see a benefit but if you drink it in the evening as I do, then there could be problems.... ;-)
True enough. I only have one rule when it comes to when to drink beer, "no beer before coffee!"
I guess caffeine (coffee beans) in beer would be practically killing two birds with one stone for me. :mrgreen:

Back