Determining pitch rate

Mad Chemist

Trial Member
Reaction score
The recipe builder ask for the "pitch rate".
I just pick one because I don't know what it is. How do I determine/effect pitch rate?

Thanks.

Thanks. I'll check it out. The recipe builder is awesome. Much better than qBrew, at least for a newbie.

A good rule of thumb for ales: A single smack-pack, vial or package of dried yeast is good for up to 5 gal of wort at 1.05 or less. Two packs or a pint starter are good for that up to about 1.08. Above that, you're into special procedures, bigger starters and additional aeration, likely a few batches into your future!

Also, make sure to get the freshest yeast possible. I'm very picky when I buy yeast, I check the entire bin at my LHBS to get the freshest. Some stores file the older yeast up front.

Thanks all. Between the good comments and reading the info at the bottom of the recipe builder I am starting to get a handle on the basics.

I only do pro brewer 1 big ale just because I like to hit the right gravity, it requires more yeast but the result always works for me

I agree with Quality Home Brewer. I will almost always make a starter even at 1.050 and use 1.0 pro Brewer or higher from the menu. I have used 2.0 for high gravity lagers, and it works. I get a fast fermentation and a very clean beer. Dropping one package or a vial into the fermentor will get beer and if it is a hopy higher temp. (70 F) fermentation, you will not be able to tell much difference. But, if you are making a cold fermented (50 F) clean tasting beer you will. The is lots of very good information on yeast and fermentation on this site and in Chist Whites book “Yeast”. This is probably the next step in brewing after mashing.

Tom McLean
On The Wet Coast,
After the Storm,

Back