Multiple hop combinations

What other malt do you use with this Vienna recipe?
often...none. just straight up 100% vienna.
right at the moment, I am adding ~15% german pale ale to get a slightly different malt flavor, but it is fairly subtle.
Going with 100% Vienna is just a taste thing for me though. I brewed the exact same recipe with exclusively German Pale Ale, Pilsner, Vienna and Munich malts...and came to the conclusion, that I really like Vienna as my IPA base malt. Munich is too heavy and Pilsner too light. Pale Ale is okay, but as the primary malt I prefer Vienna...

Never used a 100% Vienna. Now I am curious.
It took me a day (and a beer-tasting ;-)) to be able to put my preference for Vienna into words. German Pale Ale and Vienna produce almost exactly the same color and conversion, so that is not the deciding factor. It really just comes down to taste...GPA is IMO slightly "sweeter" than Vienna. Both have a similar amount of body and flavor, but Vienna is just that little bit drier. Which, is why as I am "watering down" my IPA a bit (literally just adding H20 at boil to increase volume an reduce ABV a bit) I am mashing a bit of GPA back in to make sure the brew doesn't turn out too dry and watery. So far so good.... :D

Last edited:
I have a red IPA recipe that is 100% Vienna base, WLP 008 yeast. I like that combo.

Citra + Amarillo
Mosaic + Citra + Amarillo
Anything australian and New Zealand - I really like Galaxy, Vic Secret, Ella, Topaz, Wai-Iti, Riwaka, Rakau, Pacifica

Simcoe pais well with Amarillo and Chinook
Columbus with anything fruity like Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy

Those are winner Haze.

All sarcasm aside (my previous post) I like Warrior for bittering and I’m really digging Citra and El Dorado for aroma, flavor and dry hopping.

Cascade and Citra, Mandarina Bavaria and Centennial, Pekko and Cascade, Pekko and Citra.

galaxy/ mosaic
columbus/ centennial
simcoe/ citra
ekg/ magnum
.....but i gotta say that amounts, temperature of wort, and so many other variables can more for a good/ or bad beer hop combo:
but i like the question and answers;)

Yesterday's brew will feature Amarillo / Comet.

Back