Starters.

when using starters do you decant or pitch the lot?

• Decant

• Pitch IT All

• Dont Do Starters (Dry Yeast)

• Depends on Style

Results are only viewable after voting.
Used my first starter on my mosiac otter smash, it was a 1L with light dme and wlp 001. Been 4 days and its still rolling. Brewing a nana hefe next week and will try another with bavarian wheat dme and wlp300

Making good beer isn’t difficult.
Making beer is easy. Making good beer is harder. Making great beer is harder still. Making a world class beer is damn near impossible.

Pitching the entire starter itself may not make a big impact on the beer by itself, but couple that with other short cuts and the cumulative effects degrade the overall quality of the finished beer. That's why, although Brulosophy's experiments are interesting, they may not be all that helpful. Great beer requires many "experiments" with small and incremental adjustments to dial in a beer. The difference between a good beer and a world class beer is primarily the process. IMHO.

well i ended up decanting to 1 lt :cool: i sorya needed to as my cube is nearly full after id shaken the crap outta it it was foaming up to the lid ( i threw me air stone out:oops:) so i probably decanyed half the yeast out. i find lager yeast takes longer to settle than my chico strain.

but this morn there is the begginings of a krausen on top that i can see through the cube wall so im gueasing some sort of fermentation is beginning cant tell no air lock on this baby.

My saison yeast is starting nicely, should be raring to go tomorrow. I'm going to take one of my yeast bank samples and see if it is still viable before I start banking the stuff I actually paid money for.

I sometimes wonder if Brulosophy has ever discovered something definitive.

The answer is yes. There are experiments where there were differences.

What they have discovered is a lot of things people worry about don't really make a difference on the homebrew scale. Their experiments have shaped the way I brew and save me countless hours.

The answer is yes. There are experiments where there were differences.

What they have discovered is a lot of things people worry about don't really make a difference on the homebrew scale. Their experiments have shaped the way I brew and save me countless hours.
True that.... I've worked with them on a few of the experiments where both difference was found and where it was not. Most of the experiments say that most of what we obsess about doesn't matter that much.

I always decant my starters. Have pretty much switched to dry yeast for most beers. Saves a lot of extra hassle and I can't really see any drop in quality. I do sometimes make a starter with dry yeast and always rehydrate first.

Their experiments have shaped the way I brew and save me countless hours.
For me, they have eased my mind on how much tolerance exists when brewing at the homebrew level. When I first started homebrewing I worried that missing OG by a point, or missing a mash temp by 1 degree could completely ruin a beer. Now that I’m a year and a half into homebrewing, what used to fret over has tolerances that will still make good beer. The only thing I pay strict attention to detail about is cleaning and sanitizing.

i do both depending on if ive planned ahead. im supprised how this poll is fairing more pitchit all than dont. maybe brulosophy is having more of an impact on thw hombrewing comunity as a guage of safe brewing practice.

how have we all come to the concluso of either pitching her all or not?

me ive done it in two pilsners so far and havnt been dissapoint with thw outcome. also reading brulosphers exbeerimebt on starter pitch gave my mind some ease on this too.

If and when I do make a starter, I pitch the whole thing. Typically while it's active.

Although it differs from what I do, vitality starters work well. I don't do them simply because they tie me down to a schedule. I crash and decant because it gives me a window of several days to brew and pitch. Sometimes I just don't have the energy to brew when I want to..

Guess I took the last 0 votes away. I pitch dry yeast dry, and liquid yeast smacked if it’s a smack pack.

Liquid yeast gets a starter, decanted, if the gravity is greater than 1.045 and the yeast is relatively fresh. Dry yeast gets rehydrated, multiple packets as necessary. I like really clean fermentation, hence the excess of caution. And the calculator gives pretty good results and adjusts for the age of the yeast.

Although it differs from what I do, vitality starters work well. I don't do them simply because they tie me down to a schedule. I crash and decant because it gives me a window of several days to brew and pitch. Sometimes I just don't have the energy to brew when I want to..

I think I'm in the same camp as you Bob. I don't use liquid yeast much anymore. For the most part, just about everything I brew does just fine with dry. Hefeweizen and kolsch are about the bulk of my liquid yeast usage.

Back