First brew - hop clogging

garyc

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey.

Did my first batch of homebrew on Saturday using BIAB method. All was going well until I came to drain off into the fermentor. I could see the cold break happen and how clear the wort was at that point but the hops kept clogging the strainer so I had to keep unclogging, basically meant I was stirring the wort up and disturbing all the trub as it was draining.

Once in the fermentor you could see the wort was split, some clear stuff at the top and a load of cloudy stuff underneath. This settled down over a few hours and i was left with about 3 inches of cloudy stuff at the bottom. Is this fairly normal or is this going to cause problems while the beer ferments? I'm planning on racking off into a second fermentor in about 10 days but not sure if the beer's already ruined?

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks =)

All that tub material will settle out just fine. As long as you are careful when you rack, it won't be an issue at all.

You can get a screen filter for the kettle, or you can put the hops into mesh bags during the brew. I go with resuable hops bags as seen in this post:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2013/05/10 ... ss-please/

That's a relief! Thanks for that. Yeh I think I'm going to make a hop spider for the next batch

Back