Entering fresh hops into recipe calculator

LlewellynBrewHaus

Premium Member
Reaction score
Recently I was toying with a recipe to use some of the hops that I'm growing. It really doesn't look like selecting fresh hop option accounts for water weight in to hop cone [slight reduction of IBUs ]? How does BF treat this option ?

Thanks

We don't have that in our calculator. The IBUs would be a wild guess, so generally brewers who have fresh hops use them later in the boil, for flavor and aroma, so that the IBUs aren't as important. Generally, wet hops are about 6 times the weight of dry hops, so when I use them I use, say, 6 ounces of cascade at 15 minutes, but change the IBUs to 1/6th of what I'd get with the lower end of the IBU rating of the same commercial hops.

It's just a guestimate, but it's pretty decent.

Thanks for the feedback @Yooper ..
Might want to update the FAQ section then, it states for that option "Fresh hops - right off the vine, wet, not dried like all other hops."

Thanks for the feedback @Yooper ..
Might want to update the FAQ section then, it states for that option "Fresh hops - right off the vine, wet, not dried like all other hops."

I don't understand. Wet hops vs fresh hops? They are the same thing. Although you can dry your fresh hops (I do), and then use them as commercial leaf hops (again, not being able to really know the AAUs though).

Back