Oil Drip Pan?

RetUSMC88

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am worried about my first brew blowing out. I thought I would get something to protect my floors. My wife, being the pragmatist, pointed out a piece of aluminum about 2 and a half by about 4 and a half feet long to put in the closet floor. I keep my house around 72 degrees F and I know that fermentation raises temp of your wort. My wort is maintaining a temp of 72 and I feel that the big piece of aluminum is facilitating this stability. Since I am a Newb, is this good or should I move the aluminum out from my closet?

It won't hurt but if you get a real blowout, you're cleaning krauesen off the ceiling, meaning it probably won't help much, either. If you're fermenting five gallons in a six gallon carboy, you have a valid concern about blowouts. If you're using a 7-gallon bucket, you likely don't have much to worry about. And if you're really worried, use a blowoff tube, a tube connected to the carboy bung and immersed in sanitizer or even water. That will keep the blowout at bay.

Im using a 6.5 glass carboy, my Krauesen is about 3 inches thick and pretty settled. I was more wondering if the aluminum maintaining a steady 72 -74 was a problem, don't know if the temp has to rise or not. I also don't want to call the wife a genius prematurely.

Another thing would be imerse your fermentor in a large volume of cool watet like the bath tub this will slow down any temperature swings your wort may encounter. Its a win win mate if it blows yoube got a great area for clean up:).

I don't want to scare you but Ive had many blowouts and the bottom of my fermenter is stained permanently, I would at least put towels around it at the bottom just in case, 72 is way too warm for most beers, it can raise 7 degrees during fermentation

I doubt that your aluminum is having any effect on your fermentation temperature. A blowoff tube as mentioned before is your best bet to eliminate any messes. Eventually you'll learn your recipes, and when you can skip the blow off tube and just use an airlock.

Oh, and never call your wife a genius until you want something.

The aluminum pan was put there just for the occasion of a blowout, so my hardwoods wouldn't smell like me. I do feel like this big pan is leaching off any heat and keeping my temp constant. A constant heat, is this good or should your wort be allowed to rise during fermentation?

Constant temp is probably better, but don't sweat it. I started homebrewing in a ranch without a basement. 72° was typical for me. No temp control. I still got beer.

for best results you need to stay under 72 even if it raises 7 degrees thats why I ferment at 60f

Another thing would be imerse your fermentor in a large volume of cool watet like the bath tub this will slow down any temperature swings your wort may encounter. Its a win win mate if it blows yoube got a great area for clean up:).
And don't knock the cheap temperature control: I've won medals using it! Your beer gets too warm, drape the carboy in a towel, let it wick up water and put a fan on it - Voile! A redneck swamp cooler for your beer! I started using this method because I have a walkout basement facing south - gets pretty warm down there in the summer (mid to high 70's, combined with the yeast's heat, really spiked the temps up into the 80's).

And don't knock the cheap temperature control: I've won medals using it! Your beer gets too warm, drape the carboy in a towel, let it wick up water and put a fan on it - Voile! A redneck swamp cooler for your beer! I started using this method because I have a walkout basement facing south - gets pretty warm down there in the summer (mid to high 70's, combined with the yeast's heat, really spiked the temps up into the 80's).
We would use this type of cooler in Iraq, works wonders. Thanks for the low tech, I am all about that.

Back