WORT COOL DOWN

Thanks. I'm using filtered bottled water, and the ice bags are essentially the crushed filtered water stored in a bag. I sanitize the outside of the bottle/bag before dumping, but granted I can't control what's inside. I did get a supercooled water effect this past time where the water in the bottle remained a liquid before being disturbed. Made for a cool video :D

My advice would be do partial boils and chill your wort in an ice water bath. You don't want the ice or frozen soda bottles or whatever you're using to come into contact with your wort unless you're absolutely sure it's sanitary. Put your pot in the ice water bath and stir. That should chill it quickly enough (and it's what I used to do back when dinosaurs roamed the earth).

Dilute into FV ? I used to boil then freeze water in sealed bottles for that purpose
Sorry, what's an FV? Might consider the boiling then freezing option in the future as well. Thanks.

Chugger pump with a reverse flow chiller. I go from boiling to under 80 in 20 minutes with tap water. Lower than that takes a bit of time

Does anyone use store bought ice bags, or supercooled bottled water? I live in Singapore, and am a newbie so haven't invested in coils or anything. Bottled water or ice bags have worked quite well for me. Just calculate that into how much water you want to add. Just seeing if there were any other thoughts on using ice to chill the wort. Ice definitely reduces the temperature quickly.
Hello Matty G. I am based in southern Japan and have similar weather issues, albeit not all year round. I sm brewing small, biggest so far is my current batch 9 litres. For cooling I add chilled bottled water to a strong boiled wort to get below 79c, then plop the whole kettle, sealed, into a bath. I have used ice but its not massively effective in these 30+c temps. Just swirl the bath water around the kettle and create a whirlpool effect within the kette by swirling that too (not stirring, too much of a faff removing cling film seal etc...). I then water down my wort with more chilled water to get nearer pitching temp. Obviously, my wort is strong, so diluting also gets me nearer target og. Even then its still too warm sometimes, so I just in my ferm chamber overnight and that does the trick. Not ideal, but wort chillers are impractical with smaller batches. I don't use ice because it would involve sterilising a bunch of other stuff to avoid infectoon risk. Maybe you have a decent way of getting around this,.a trusted source perhaps. Anyway, hope this helps give you some ideas.

Get a stir paddle that will attach to a cordless drill. My immersion chiller takes 5 minutes to chill 6.5 gallons from near boiling to 72°F.

Squirrel conversion:

Get a stir paddle that will attach to a cordless drill. My immersion chiller takes 5 minutes (I think you use our minutes) to chill 24.6 liters from near boiling to 22.2°C.

Good to see respect for the squirrels.

I have no respect for mine, I have a large walnut tree in the back that the squirrels eat on but no nuts this year so far so they started thieving my softball size tomatoes one by one, I'm to nice of a guy to do what I really want lol

Back