What whould you tell yourself as a new brewer?

2 brewers and 6 opinions isn't it ?
I know my club welcomes brewers of any experience and method , I get picked on a little for being a no chiller but all in good fun .
Learning brewers are invited along to brewdays as there's no substitute for seeing it done and getting involved

I would have to telecommute to be a member, lol.

Pick one or two beers and keep brewing them over and over until they are perfect and you have your routine down.
Use these beers as your litmus when you change your equipment / process etc. (New kettles, water adjustments, etc)

Spend the money and go HERMS instead of RIMS. Spend the (more) money to go electric instead of gas for your HERMS.

DONT RACK YOUR BEER ONTO SANITIZER IN KEG!

I did this this morning:oops: i think 3 liters of phosphoric acid was in there sanitizing i forgot to pour it out before transfering in my recent brewed porter :eek::(. I found out because as i was going about brew day prep i left the beer to rack in slowly to keg. But a little later i walked past the beer.was overflowing the keg and to my shock and horror it was quite clear and bubbly thats when i realized i hadnt tipped the sanitizer out dam it. So peed off i couldnt believe i was that dumb.

Anyhow its under gas atm i did get a chance to rack off 4 750ml bottles of un starsanned beer. What would youse do tip the keg out or wait and taste?

I don't think I would chance that, dump it all, clean up everything, and call it a day, collect your thoughts, and get ready for the next brewday

I'd carb it , dilute starsan has a lower gravity than beer so would float on top so if enough overflows ??.... Worth risking 15¢ of gas to check .

Make bigger yeast starters than you think you need, brewday starts a day or two before mash in.

"Anyhow its under gas atm i did get a chance to rack off 4 750ml bottles of un starsanned beer. What would youse do tip the keg out or wait and taste?"

Traily.

I feel your pain!!!!
I took a big slug of Irish coffee when I began to read about your dilemma and I laughed so hard (please forgive me) that I passed a mouthful of hot, alcohol laden coffee through my nose. It's hard to describe the buzz. I do not recommend for anyone to experiment with the process. But, since I was into it pretty deep, and being anal about anything related to alcohol I took some notes.
With a lung or two full of air and by measuring the volume of a mouthful of liquid and the distance that the volume of superheated, alcohol and triple caffeine fueled snot rocket travelled in the time period it took to expel all of the scalding hot fuel through my nasal passages, I was able to determine pressure drop through my nasal/sinus pipes. Also, I determined that the affects of superheated coffee blasted through nasal pipes makes brain freeze low key agony.

Check pH, it would be interesting to know what it is.

Have you ever tossed vinegar into baking soda? Foaming may have been due to a reaction of acid to a base chemical that should have precipitated early in the brewing procedure, but didn't, and ended up carried over. I could be entirely, wrong.
Place a pound of wet mash at 85F into an insulated vessel for three or so hours with the cap loose and foam will be flowing out of the container, mash temperature increases, aceto-bacteria. Pickle juice. Try it, the flavor is unique more like malt vinegar but not as sharp.

Here are a few suggestions for working with the beer.
If pH is extremely low and you pound down five gallons of it, it may be necessary to make an appointment with a dentist and with a Doc that works with stomach problems.
Use the beer to de-galvanize pipe.
Send a sample to Sandoz Pharmaceuticals.
Create a new style of Belgian Sour and call it Belgian Barnyard Farmhouse Saison Dark Sour and place it in a contest. It's blue ribbon material.
Use the beer straight from the keg to exterminate weeds by attaching a spray wand to the outlet spud.
If the beer/weed eradicator is an orange hue, it can be called Agent Orange Clone House Belgian.

I'm just kidding about all of the stuff. Sorry that it happened.
I left the cone in the fermenter full of sanitizer but, I only had a gallon of wort in the fermenter when I remembered.

Aw hell kid. Don't worry about it. In 10 years or so a peanut farmer will make it legal.

Its still under gas ATM. Checked ph =4.2 higher than i thought. It was really shaping up nicely this porter. Ive tasted the brew not tooo bad :p. I gunna ket if fully carb pour a glass full drink it and wait for the intergestion / heartburn to begin:eek:.

Pick one or two beers and keep brewing them over and over until they are perfect and you have your routine down.
Use these beers as your litmus when you change your equipment / process etc. (New kettles, water adjustments, etc)

Spend the money and go HERMS instead of RIMS. Spend the (more) money to go electric instead of gas for your HERMS.
I shed a little tear, at last, someone else in this forum preaching my gospel.

"Like souregut???"

Maybe, rotgut.

Due to time and unforeseen occurrence I ruined 40 pounds of malt, turning the mash liquid into foaming pickle juice. The pH was well below enzyme tolerance. I was going to let it rip and give the run off to a guy that screws around with producing vinegar. The liquid tasted like smooth malt vinegar. I probably tossed out something valuable.

"Checked ph =4.2 higher than i thought."

Me too. Perhaps, pH started a little high and the acid reduced it.
It's not a bad idea to check pH during primary fermentation.
By the way, what is the acronym ATM?

Advice to myself:
If I knew that I was going to live as long as I have lived, I would do everything that I have done up to now by the time I was 21.

Back