transfer from glass demijohn to keg using pump?

Markbrew65

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, is it advisable to use a magnetic pump to transfer the fermented wort from the glass demijohn to the keg.

Not having much luck with syphons and have the magnetic pump for brewing

I read that it might introduce oxygen but just wondered if anyone else had tried it.

I have definitely used a pump on the end of a racking cane. This was to transfer wort out of my brew kettle into my fermenter, so any oxygen pickup was welcomed.

Why are the autosiphons not working? If you have enough height differential and long enough tubing it should work 100%.

I avoid oxygen pick up as much as possible in all my brewing. The only time I add it is at yeast pitch.
If you haven't tried an auto siphon, as previously mentioned, that's where I'd start. If it's not convenient to get or use 1, then there are plenty of videos on how to properly start a siphon.
Good luck,
Brian

i had one or two autosiphons that worked fine at first, but after a while I had to watch it like a hawk and keep giving it a few pumps once in a while. Not only that, but there was a consistent stream of bubbles all through the hose.
I've since used my CO2 tank, a racking cane, and a 2 hole plastic cover / stopper for the carboy. transfers in no time flat, but you have to watch the gas pressure so you don't bust the carboy or bubble up and overflow the keg

Reactions: J A
I've since used my CO2 tank, a racking cane, and a 2 hole plastic cover / stopper for the carboy. transfers in no time flat, but you have to watch the gas pressure so you don't bust the carboy or bubble up and overflow the keg
I have done the same thing and I have to say I was surprised with the difference it makes. The beers stay fresher longer. Hop and malt flavors are preserved for at least double of my previous method using an auto-siphon.

I don't use CO2 to blow the beer out of the carboy but I do flush the receiving carboy with the gas. It does make a difference, at least as far as I can tell. The beer's flavor is brighter, more malty. I haven't tested this rigorously so use this information in the spirit it's given.

I anticipated the volume of whole cone dry hops to be much larger than they turned out, and my 6 gallon carboy had too much headspace on a delicious red ale. The beer was much better going in than going out.

I now exclusively dry hop in the conical for pellets or in a purged corny keg for whole flower.

The syphon I have is called a syphonbellow, it has a bellow in the middle and when I use it blows a big bubble of air into the fermenter which I do not like.

https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=5958 is where I got the syphon from.

Have though of starting it in clean water then transferring to the keg to start it.

That is why I thought about using the magnet pump as the syphonbellow does not work that good.

I will say that once it is started the demijohn empties pretty quick.

Never see one of those before, but leave it to brewers to come up with something like that. Don't know if it comes with directions but from the looks of it I would close the valve, squeeze the billow then place it in the beer, release the billow, open the valve and let her flow.

Tried that but the bellow does not fully fill, seemed to require a second squeeze.

I will try it again though with the one squeeze on some non-beer liquid and see how it all goes.

I did find that the valve has to be closed to even work.

What if the bellow was closer to the valve (lower from the top of the container) instead of closer to the racking cane as show in the pic? Wouldn't that help? Sorry I always want to build a better mouse trap.:rolleyes:Can't help myself.

Back