Tilt Hydrometer integration

notrealdan

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite features of Brewer's Friend is the brew log. It encourages me to keep good notes about each brew. The way I see it, that can only help both to identify the causes of issues when they come up as well as maintain consistency. So I want to be able to track my fermentations' progress, and the traditional way to do that is by taking samples once in a while. I don't like the increased chance of contamination and oxydation that brings with it, so I looked for a better way.

To that end, I've started using the Tilt Hydrometer (formerly known as Brewometer) to track the SG and temp throughout fermentation. This way I never have to take a sample and can know the SG and temp of my fermenting beer anytime, anywhere.

Now, to get to my point... I think it would be a great addition to be able to feed that data directly into Brewer's Friend so it could be included in the brew log so it's directly attached to a specific brewing session for easy reference. Here's the Tilt website in case you haven't seen it. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, except as a happy customer so far. I'll say that I'm currently on my very first batch using a Tilt.

Right now, I have my Tilt reporting (by way of an old iPad set near my fermenters and running their app) to their cloud system, which sticks the data in a Google spreadsheet. This happens every 15 minutes, which gives me lots of data about how the beer is going. Details can be found here on how to set up cloud logging through them. For my latest batch, I just pasted a link to the spreadsheet into the brew log for that batch, but I think some more direct integration with Brewer's Friend would be really nice, and might not even be too difficult. The app has an option field to put in a custom logging URL, so you can send the data anywhere. I don't know much about what that data looks like, but maybe that's a way to feed that data to Brewer's Friend. I can imaging a nice graph of the fermentation process showing up on the brew log showing the SG and temp data. They're also open about how the Tilt broadcasts its data using iBeacon technology, so collecting the data could even be integrated directly into the Brewer's Friend app if that's a better solution. This script can be used with Node.js to look for iBeacons and grab their data, so this could be really easy!

Anyways, I'm not sure how many users of Brewer's Friend are also using Tilts or similar devices, but I've always wanted to find a better way to track the fermentation without actually sampling, and this has been a good solution for me. Brewer's Friend has also been a fantastic addition to by brewing toolbox and hope it only gets better.

Cheers!

Same here :)
Just got my Tilt and loving it so far!

Would be wonderful to see an integration into Brewer's Friend.

Still pretty pricey for a lot of us just for a hydrometer but that will change. The chance to monitor beer through the entire fermentation without opening the vessel is sweet. They will get cheaper.

Anyways, I'm not sure how many users of Brewer's Friend are also using Tilts or similar devices, but I've always wanted to find a better way to track the fermentation without actually sampling, and this has been a good solution for me. Brewer's Friend has also been a fantastic addition to by brewing toolbox and hope it only gets better.

I just bought one and am using it for the first time. Super cool. I happen to have a Raspberry Pi close by running my beer list on a TV, so I started configuring it to collect the tilt data (haven't been successful yet). But having this info go directly into Brewer's Friend would be way more useful than the Google Sheets integration.

Back