Batch #10

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Batch #6 is in the fermenter, Batch #7 is getting brewed this weekend, 8 and 9 are planned .. so now I'm thinking about #10 and want to do something "big" for my tenth batch. Been working on this a while now and think I'm finally satisfied. It's extract (I'm not ready to invest in the all grain stuff yet). Inspirations are Bells Hopslam (uses honey) and Shorts Liberator and Hopstache (use fruit zests).

I think this will work; not sure about my yeast choice, selected on description from whitelabs website ....

So, here it is, please pick it apart. :) (I will be set up to make a starter for this one).

http://sdrv.ms/13KHvUW

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

104 IBU - it's a facemelter! :evil:

Personally, I would use a different yeast for something with an OG that high. I'd probably go for a more attenuative strain to try and get the FG down below 1.020.

JAMC said:
104 IBU - it's a facemelter! :evil:

Personally, I would use a different yeast for something with an OG that high. I'd probably go for a more attenuative strain to try and get the FG down below 1.020.

Yes, I'm hoping the honey offsets and balances the high IBU ... not sure where Hopslam is, but certainly it's high and Hopstache is actually advertised at 106 IBU, but you'd never guess it.

Open to suggestions on the yeast ... I'll have to do some research, looking at attenuation values.

Thanks,

(I'm not ready to invest in the all grain stuff yet

Bipper

I am planning # 5 this weekend. Going partial mash.

DO IT!!!

I would lose the hop additions at 45 and 30 minutes. Just go ahead and blast the beer from 5 minutes to flameout with loads of citra. You'll get a much better result :D :D

but other than that i'm loving the recipe!

JAMC said:

San Diego Super Yeast.. 79.5% avg attenuation in the recipe builder, style appropriate according to whitelabs website, gets FG down to 1.018 and ABV up to a whopping 9.1%! Perhaps a better choice, any comments on that?

HicksBrewer said:
I would lose the hop additions at 45 and 30 minutes. Just go ahead and blast the beer from 5 minutes to flameout with loads of citra. You'll get a much better result :D :D
but other than that i'm loving the recipe!

Early on when trying to work this one out, I actually had it like that, loading up huge in the 5-10 minutes, and I had a full pound of hops ... then I started pricing things out and thought I oughta try to cut some back. But, hey, I say I want to go big, maybe I need to look at it again. I agree (mostly from all my reading and not so much experience) that it would probably be better with greater late hops additions.

Krimbos said:
(I'm not ready to invest in the all grain stuff yet
Bipper
I am planning # 5 this weekend. Going partial mash.
DO IT!!!

....... before the year is out, I intend to set up a cooler such that I can at least do full grain batch sparging....

Feedback appreciated ... as always, this website is the greatest!

Back