Oatmeal IPA - Thoughts?

I never would have considered using oats in an IPA, I suppose why not!? :D
I also like that particular mouth-feel you are describing, but have been using CaraFoam (Carapils) to achieve it.

Do it and let us know how it comes out! What's the worst that can happen....

sbaclimber said:
I never would have considered using oats in an IPA, I suppose why not!? :D
I also like that particular mouth-feel you are describing, but have been using CaraFoam (Carapils) to achieve it.

Carails does add mouth feel and head retention, but its just not the same mouth feel as Oats add to a beer. I'll be brewing it up soon and get back to all of you on how it turns out!

Just mashed in the Oatmeal IPA.

went with 50|50 Maris otter and 6-row( to help convert the oatmeal) 20% oatmeal, 6.7% Munich and Crystal 60

Bravo for FWH, Citra/Columbus 2:1 ratio at whirlpool. Should be interesting!

I've done first-wort hopping on several of my recent brews and REALLY like the outcome! Of course, if I follow the scientific principles I espouse, I now have to brew the same brew and hop conventionally to test the outcome, don't I.... ;-)

Nosybear said:
I've done first-wort hopping on several of my recent brews and REALLY like the outcome! Of course, if I follow the scientific principles I espouse, I now have to brew the same brew and hop conventionally to test the outcome, don't I.... ;-)

YUP! I've been first wort hopping since I switched to all grain. You get about 10IBU's more and its a smoother bitterness, plus it helps keep the hot break down. plus the aroma of the hops steeping in the wort as you sparge... doesn't get any better than that!

Update: Finished the brew day, the yeast is getting started already, the wort sample was perrrrrfect. The flavor and mouth feel just glides over the palate. Hop aroma and flavor is a nice balance bewteen floral/Piney with tropical citrus and fruity tones. Dry hopping this one.. probably with Calypso.

Back