Refractometer vs. Hydrometer Readings

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi gents,

Just got a refractometer. Using it on water, I get a perfect 1:1 correspondence between readings. But then I tried it on my Classic American Lager. Hydrometer gave me 1.013, refractometer 1.024. Tasting, there's no way there's that much sugar left in the wort. The hydrometer has a dual scale - brix and wort. So how can the device be that far off? Found this link.... http://www.homebrewstuff.com/refractometer-how-to.... Maybe a calculator for refractometer vs hydrometer in the brew logs?

Refractrometer readings need to be corrected if the sample contains alcohol, and the OG must be known to determine the actual gravity.

I'm not a huge fan of my refractrometer. I have to calibrate it before using. Even then I have gotten off readings on wort samples but I haven't had the interest to dial it in.

We are looking into adding support for refractrometer readings that contain alcohol in the near future. That is in the feature request forum in several places.

I suggest taking readings from both to see how they compare.

I use my refractometer when making my yeast starters and on brew day. On the yeast starters I start with a measured amount of water and then add DME until I get to 1035. On brew day I take various readings of the wort to check my gravity progression. Once the wort starts to ferment, I use my hydrometer. The refractometer is great for on the fly readings but the hydrometer is more accurate for fermented beer.

Found that out later - what did we ever do without Google. Also found an equation for converting readings once fermentation has started. So I'm keeping a spreadsheet for comparative readings. I really like the convenience of the refractometer but as you state, it's not directly accurate once fermentation starts.

I at one point thought about getting a refractometer but after doing research and checking cost I decided it wasnt for me. Instead I purchased a top of the line hydrometer to replace my triple scale hydrometer and dont regret that decision at all.

Back