Imperial IPA Recipe with Citra Dry Hop Question

dpom_93

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey All -

New to the site but I've been referencing it for a while now.

I recently brewed my own version of the Great Basin Icky IPA and it turned out great. I wanted to try my hand at an Imperial IPA and was wondering what you all thought of this recipe with Citra as a dry hop. I don't want to overdo the Citra as it can be overpowering and I've been looking at some staple Imperial IPA's as a reference for this recipe.

For 5 gallons:
9 lbs. Light (Pale) Malt Extract Syrup
6 lbs. Amber Malt Extract Syrup

2oz Centennial (90 min)
1oz Cascade (90 min)
1oz Simcoe (90 min)

1oz Cascade (30 min)
1oz Simcoe (30 min)

1oz Centennial (15 min)
1oz Cascade (10 min)
1oz Simcoe (5 min)

Dry Safale US-05 Yeast

2 Week Dry Hop:
1oz Centennial (14 Days Out)
1oz Simcoe (14 Days Out)
1oz Citra (14 Days Out)
.25oz Centennial (5 Days Out)
.25 Simcoe (5 Days Out)
.25 Citra (5 Days Out)

For this I am really wondering what you all think of the Dry Hop as a whole and how much Citra may be too much Citra.
Also wondering about the amount of malt to use. In my Icky IPA I used 6 lbs of Light (pale) extract and 3 lbs of Amber extract.
Any suggestions about the entire thing are appreciated! Thanks.

i dry hop with Citra and really enjoy it. usually about .5oz in 2 gallons.

Use a starter or double pitch, otherwise looks really tasty! Citra is wonderful to dry hop with but it does get a little lost when pairing together with Simcoe I have found so if you want the Citra aroma to pop do .5 oz of Citra and skip the Simcoe at the end.

I do a imperial citra IPA. I dry hop with 3 oz of citra for 4 days, pull it out and then dry hop with 2 oz for another 3 days and then keg it. I love it!

Back