"Decoction" for Lazy Brewers

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As I've stated before, I'm likely the laziest brewer in this forum. So here's a great way to get decoction flavors without actually having to boil "oatmeal" for a half- hour. Mash your grains normally - today's well-modified malts don't need decoction to convert. Then, after the vorlauf, drain off a quart of your first wort and put it in a large, thick-bottomed saucepan. Note the thick bottomed part - you don't want your "decoction" to scorch! Boil the first wort over high heat, stirring frequently as the wort thickens, until you are stirring nearly continually and you have a thick, black syrup. Pour this back into your boil and proceed with normal beer making. Note I use a small boil and big mini-mashes. If you're doing all-grain and have a thinner first wort, you might want to use two quarts to start. If my "schwarzbier 2.0" is any indication, it works like a champ!

Personally, I find that a single decoction is enough and it's fairly short and easy to do. Though your method does seem a bit easier. It would be interesting to see the difference between the two.

cearum said:
Personally, I find that a single decoction is enough and it's fairly short and easy to do. Though your method does seem a bit easier. It would be interesting to see the difference between the two.

Would be interested in hearing. I'm willing to put in the work for a significant difference.

Nosybear said:
As I've stated before, I'm likely the laziest brewer in this forum. So here's a great way to get decoction flavors without actually having to boil "oatmeal" for a half- hour. Mash your grains normally - today's well-modified malts don't need decoction to convert. Then, after the vorlauf, drain off a quart of your first wort and put it in a large, thick-bottomed saucepan. Note the thick bottomed part - you don't want your "decoction" to scorch! Boil the first wort over high heat, stirring frequently as the wort thickens, until you are stirring nearly continually and you have a thick, black syrup. Pour this back into your boil and proceed with normal beer making. Note I use a small boil and big mini-mashes. If you're doing all-grain and have a thinner first wort, you might want to use two quarts to start. If my "schwarzbier 2.0" is any indication, it works like a champ!

Question 1: Are all malts nowadays well-modified? According to Palmer's site, some German pils malts are less modified...Is his info outdated? I can only acquire Weyermann malts here, and I usually use their pils or pale ale. How could I tell after the fact if a protein rest would have helped?

Question 2: What are the decoction flavors like?

Cheers,

Question 1: Are all malts nowadays well-modified? According to Palmer's site, some German pils malts are less modified...Is his info outdated? I can only acquire Weyermann malts here, and I usually use their pils or pale ale. How could I tell after the fact if a protein rest would have helped?

I can't say "all" malts are well-modified but have never run into problems I could blame on malt modification. Best said, with most modern malts, Weyermann included, you're safe doing single infusions. If you're concerned with the modification of a malt, generally a fifteen minute rest at 131 degrees will clear up any problems but be cautious: Most malts today are so well modified that the protein rest could adversely affect mouthfeel and head retention. I'll use the rest this weekend since I'm brewing with six-row. It might be worthwhile with Pilsner, Munich and Vienna malts depending on your system and processes.

Question 2: What are the decoction flavors like?

Grab and chew some Melanoidin malt. These are the flavors decoction is creating in your beer. Decoction amplifies the "malty" flavors in a beer. My method is producing a more intense candi syrup flavor, dark fruits and caramel, not what you get from a decoction. Live and learn - the flavors generated by boiling down syrup are not the same as decoction, as I discovered once I started making my own candi syrup. If you want a decoction flavor profile, a single decoction should be sufficient to generate it. I'd never argue against a traditional decoction profile if that's what you want to do with your Saturday and you feel it creates a better beer, I just don't have time in my life to do a lot of them.

Nosybear said:
My method is producing a more intense candi syrup flavor, dark fruits and caramel, not what you get from a decoction. Live and learn - the flavors generated by boiling down syrup are not the same as decoction, as I discovered once I started making my own candi syrup. If you want a decoction flavor profile, a single decoction should be sufficient to generate it. I'd never argue against a traditional decoction profile if that's what you want to do with your Saturday and you feel it creates a better beer, I just don't have time in my life to do a lot of them.

Thanks Nosy for waiting 2 1/2 years to report this to us.

Interesting old post.

What ever happened to Altbier Bitte? Haven t seen him in a while

GernBlanston said:
Thanks Nosy for waiting 2 1/2 years to report this to us.
Interesting old post.
What ever happened to Altbier Bitte? Haven t seen him in a while

Waiting? I'd forgotten it. The key part of that "live and learn" thing is learning, something I hope never to stop doing even when I'm learning of my own errors.

No idea what happened to Altbier. Is he still lurking out there somewhere?

Awesome post, thank you, haven't actually done any decoction, but wondered.....

contrary to what people say on this topic Ive tested this thoroughly and found that if you boil wort rabidly for a long time it caramelizes, giving a candy type of flavor, Ive done 120 and even 240 minutes and the color darkens big time and the flavor is sweeter than normal, I'm drinking a brown ale now that should have been a red thats sweet to first taste then carmel to the body and is good proof, only issue when doing these long boils is it blands out any hop flavor

Back