What can I do with Columbus hops?

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to brew this weekend, and looking to use up some remaining freezer hops. I've got about 3 or 4 oz of columbus, and maybe 1/2 or so of tettnang I think (it was some noble hop for a gose).

I'll probably use the tettnang no matter what just to get rid of the small amount, but it looks like I'm pretty much relegated to pale ale variations with columbus.

Been thinking of doing my first saison, haven't brewed a stout in a while.

Any thoughts? Maybe a black ipa to sort of split the difference? I figure I'm going to have to bite the bullet one way or the other

Columbus is better used for bittering, it can be used for late additions but Its kind of a dank tasting citrus, I don't care for it but some do

yeah, that's what i originally got it for and why i got a pound of it.

given what you said and the dubious freshness of them, i'm probably better off grabbing an oz of something for some flavor and aroma, in addition to using the columbus

Au contrare, Columbus gets recommended for aroma and late hop additions or dry-hopping. I tried to get some but my (new) LHBS didn't have any, so I got CTZ instead. I'll let you know in a couple of days how it smells when I dry hop my 80-Acre clone... :-D

http://beerlegends.com/columbus-hops

Columbus, Tomahawk and Zeus are all the same hop, hence the "CTZ" designation.

I'd bitter with it, then flavor with Centennial and Cascade or maybe Mosaic, something citrussy/fruity. Tettnang is a different set of flavors, I don't know that it would be that complementary. In fact, I think you'd wind up with a kind of "brown" flavor (brown being the color you get when you mix too many colors together on a palette). But hey, not everyone likes my Magnum-Perle-Noble Hop combinations so go for it, it could wind up good!

no, i've definitely done some unintentional brown beers. they've been very meh to say the least

i don't have any upcoming brews planned for the tettnang, which is why i was looking to clear it out. maybe just put it early enough in the boil to not worry about the contrasting flavor?

How much of it do you have? If enough, use it in conjunction with Magnum to flavor a Pale Ale. Mmmmm.....

i could do a magnum / tettnang pale, and then a straight columbus batch. same mash

that sounds like a winner

Back