Ferocious Rolling Boil

Gullsrock

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am very new to All Grain. My electric boiler does not have a thermostat on the element therefore temperature control is limited particularly when it reaches the boil. I don't think it would be practical to turn the element on and off to maintain a rolling boil and I therefore end up with quite a ferocious rolling boil. Is this ok and how do other members manage? Any help and tips are appreciated

its fine, wont hurt the beer but the catch is it will evaporate much more than you think

Agreed, you may have to top off with some water to get your desired volume / gravity after the boil

This is probably a bit more qualitative, but I think you'll be caramelizing more sugars with a more vigorous boil. Which means a generally darker beer and more caramel like taste.
That's not to say you couldnt brew a delicious pilsner or whatever, just something to be aware of when making a grain bill

Thanks folks. I did loose a lot of water with my first boil. Beer turned out ok though. Used a standard Brupak Yorkshire Bitter. A few things went wrong during the process but a great learning curve.

Does anyone else have the same 'over' boil problem with an electric boiler?

I just use a regular kettle, but on an electric stove.

I've just kind of learned to back off the heat a little just as it's starting to boil. I had to fiddle with it a bit at first, but not so much now.

I've got a much harder time not overshooting my strike water temps than boil over though

If the element is in contact with the wort, you might get some scorching or some darkening due to Maillard reactions or even some real caramelization. Think more flavor. Otherwise, account for the additional boil-off and flavor effects and have fun brewing.

Back