Strike water calculations

Opus X

Trial Member
Reaction score
What information needs to be added for this program to calculate strike water temperature for a BIAB brew session?

The calculations should be the same. The only thing you're heating other than the grains and the container is the bag and the heat required to raise it to mash temps should be negligible. You'll have to dial it in by trial and error.

I generally shoot for about 165 or so. for my system and brewspace, i lose about 10 degrees or so by the time everything gets stirred in. Edit: I BIAB by the way

I think i recall seeing a formula somewhere for this, based on the amount of water needed and the temperature of the grain.

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if the program here automatically calculated it when I hit BREW based on my equipment profile, the recipe, and desired mash temp. If it does I couldn't figure out how to do it.

My last session I heated the water to 168 and ended up losing about 10 degrees...so I mashed higher than I wanted to. Next time I will heat to 163 or so and see what that does.

Thanks again.

i let my bag heat up with the water, and then add grains, and i also usually lose 10ºF when adding my grains.

i assume you're using this calculator -> http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/ ... that always helps, have a room thermometer to know if your house ambient temp fluctuates like mine, to know grain temp,

ha, that might be the exact calculator i was picturing.

also, to oliver's point, be careful to not let the bag scorch if you're leaving it in there

in your brew session look at mash calculator, click on strike water

Back