Experiences with Verdant IPA Yeast : Lalbrew

Dornbox

Premium Member
Reaction score
Any of you peeps use Verdant IPA yeast before? Experiences if so.

I just did my first batch with it and I'm at 90.88% Attenuation (actual Hydrometer) with a 151F Mash temp. That just sounds insane to me. I like the yeast and will definitely use it again but I'm going to have to re think my mash temps when I do. The only thing I can't remember is if I mashed in at 151 or if I mashed in around 120F and raised it with my RIMS. Regardless, I usually get attenuation over the expected / labeled percentage but I was planning on low 80's at best. I did do an overnight mash but I always do that so....

My Gain bill was:
83% Pils
17 % Crystals
and a touch of Midnight Wheat

Thanks

Wow that is above average I'm sure!
I used it twice earlier this year it didn't attenuate anything like that for me.
One of the batches was high voltage man's wayners pale.
I just know it was stubbornly hazy on both batches I brewed with it.

Wow that is above average I'm sure!
I used it twice earlier this year it didn't attenuate anything like that for me.
One of the batches was high voltage man's wayners pale.
I just know it was stubbornly hazy on both batches I brewed with it.

Stubbornly hazy! Dam I need to crash and biofine it tonight to free up a tank for tomorrow. It's certainly hazy still. Maybe I should just rack it over to a keg and let it sit for another week.

Any of you peeps use Verdant IPA yeast before? Experiences if so.

I just did my first batch with it and I'm at 90.88% Attenuation (actual Hydrometer) with a 151F Mash temp. That just sounds insane to me. I like the yeast and will definitely use it again but I'm going to have to re think my mash temps when I do. The only thing I can't remember is if I mashed in at 151 or if I mashed in around 120F and raised it with my RIMS. Regardless, I usually get attenuation over the expected / labeled percentage but I was planning on low 80's at best. I did do an overnight mash but I always do that so....

My Gain bill was:
83% Pils
17 % Crystals
and a touch of Midnight Wheat

Thanks
Our homebrew club worked with Lallemand testing it.... Most of us got LOWER than expected attenuation - somewhat higher than English yeasts, somewhat lower than US ale yeasts. I'd be concerned - the attenuation you mention is in the Saison range.

Our homebrew club worked with Lallemand testing it.... Most of us got LOWER than expected attenuation - somewhat higher than English yeasts, somewhat lower than US ale yeasts. I'd be concerned - the attenuation you mention is in the Saison range.

Interesting! The beer tastes and smells really clean. It hit F.G. or close to it in 3 days. I sterilise my tanks with 170f starsans for an hour then let the Starsans sit in the tank overnight (this is after I disassemble and wash them with a 180f caustic for an hour). I drain it just prior to adding wort. The last yeast I've used in that tank was either a German Lager or Connan strain. Neither of those would chew through that much sugar. I guess I'll ignore the result and see what happens next time. Whatever it is, it worked really well! lol

I'm a little anal with sanitation and have never had a batch go south since I started brewing in the early 90's. My starters would be my weak link if I had to pick a suspect and this was a direct pitch of 2 packs in 6 gallons.

Last edited:
I’ve never gotten that high with it. It is my favorite dry English yeast so love the flavor. @Trialben last time I used it it did clear. Got some serious conditioning first.

I’ve never gotten that high with it. It is my favorite dry English yeast so love the flavor. @Trialben last time I used it it did clear. Got some serious conditioning first.
Yeah I remember reading back through that thread and I didn't use any whirlflock/finnings in the boil or added anything to the fermenter so yeah with a bit of effort in the right places it should come good.
I'm pretty sure @Donoroto mentioned even his starter jar not clearing in that BFCQ - HVM thread.

I don't know why but with ales I find my process is slightly different and I don't fine them like I would if I'm brewing a lager.
For instance usually with lager it's whirlflock 10 to go in the boil then post fermentation I let them crash longer then I'll use geltin most times now in the keg whereas ales I'm like meh if it's hazy I'm cool with that.

Last edited:
I haven't busted it yet but will follow this to hear the results.

We’ll see. I’m crashing it now and then I will transfer and fine it tomorrow. First time using biofine so I’ll make sure not to blame it if the haze is strong in this one.

We’ll see. I’m crashing it now and then I will transfer and fine it tomorrow. First time using biofine so I’ll make sure not to blame it if the haze is strong in this one.
How much biofine you use ?
I'm gunna start at 10ml when I get mine and see from the results.

Yeah I will probably start in the 10-15ml range. It will be a Game time decision but I'm leaning towards 15ml.

I ended up doing 13ml of biofine into the bottom of a purged empty keg then racking on it. I also did a couple burst of Co2 @ 50 psi shaking between each burst. I’ll probably check it on Tuesday if I can be patient enough.

Interesting! The beer tastes and smells really clean. It hit F.G. or close to it in 3 days. I sterilise my tanks with 170f starsans for an hour then let the Starsans sit in the tank overnight (this is after I disassemble and wash them with a 180f caustic for an hour). I drain it just prior to adding wort. The last yeast I've used in that tank was either a German Lager or Connan strain. Neither of those would chew through that much sugar. I guess I'll ignore the result and see what happens next time. Whatever it is, it worked really well! lol

I'm a little anal with sanitation and have never had a batch go south since I started brewing in the early 90's. My starters would be my weak link if I had to pick a suspect and this was a direct pitch of 2 packs in 6 gallons.
I don't recall the OG on your beer but two packs would have been an overpitch for anything higher than 1.060.... No starters for dry yeast necessary, nor is oxygenation - it comes ready to rehydrate and get to work!

I don't recall the OG on your beer but two packs would have been an overpitch for anything higher than 1.060.... No starters for dry yeast necessary, nor is oxygenation - it comes ready to rehydrate and get to work!

My OG was 1.057. I tend to over pitch all of my ales especially when using dry yeast. I just like to pitch 2 packs. I know the dry yeast comes with it’s own charge of oxygen too but i always pump that into my wort as well. Habit. I typically get much better attention then listed on the packs but 90%+ was very unexpected from this yeast from what I’ve read.

I used Verdant in a beer I got 85% attenuation. Beer was good too.

Yes! So far this beer is tasting really clean and crispy. I do like how the yeast performed. What was the FG on your beer?

Yes! So far this beer is tasting really clean and crispy. I do like how the yeast performed. What was the FG on your beer?

Well it got down to 1.010 but I had another that reached down to 1.002. That may have been a Tilt calibration problem with Krausen clinging to the top thereby altering the balance. In either case the fermentation was vigorous and finished fairly quickly. It is good yeast - for an IPA at least.

Well it got down to 1.010 but I had another that reached down to 1.002. That may have been a Tilt calibration problem with Krausen clinging to the top thereby altering the balance. In either case the fermentation was vigorous and finished fairly quickly. It is good yeast - for an IPA at least.

I just realized that I didn't add the actual FG in the original post. 1.005 is where the brew finished and that was on my trusty analog hydrometer. My tilt was actually closer to 1.015 I believe but I only use those to have a window into how things are progressing in my fermenters. We'll see! I am excited about this yeast for sure.

Back