Crankandstien mills?

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Last couple of brews I've noticed my Hullwrecker hasn't been pulling the barley through as well as it used too, so I've been looking at upgrade/replacement mills. Right now I'm considering their gear driven 2 roller...

https://www.crankandstein.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=11.

Anyone with experiance with their mills? They appear to be a pretty nice mill to me. Not worried about a base/hopper I can build that myself.

havent used it, but always heard good things about them. for $35 more I might go with the 3D one.

I purchased the 3D once but it was in back order so long I decided to live with my 20 year old 2 roller. Maybe next year? But I do like the 3 roller version.

FWIW, I bought a Monster Mill 2 roller, hard cased with 2" rollers when I opened the shop 12 years ago.
I use a 1/2" Milwaukee drill to run it.
I have run endless amounts of grain through it for the shop and now for the brewery.
I changed 2 Teflon bushings, one time in the 12 years. I think they cost me $2 and were mailed from them the next day when I requested.
Still works great.
Maybe a bit more money on the front side, but you won't ever buy another one, ever!
Cheers

Oh, and right here in the good old USA!

I have a Crank&Stein 3 roller geared up in a custom mill cabinet. I don't recommend it, unless you are super engineering savvy about motors and belts and whatnot.

I used to have a regular Crank&Stein 3 roller in the mill cabinet, and it often time wouldn't catch. The rollers would just spin, malt wouldn't go through, and then you had to grab the pulley wheel and the bottom wheel together to grab the grain while off, or turn it on and bump the bottom roller with your hand to get it to catch and start milling. It was really a pain in the butt to use, especially trying to use it as our regular shop mill.

So I upgraded, bought a new crank and stein 3 roller, but this time geared up so all 3 rollers would turn under power. I installed it the same way as the old 3-roller was, turned it on, put some grain in, and it jammed. Rollers wouldn't spin. Tried to back it out and see what was happening, jams again. I called him, asked what was going on, the old one slipped but never jammed, why is the geared version jamming? He basically refused to give me advice and said it's not his rollers that's the problem, it's my motor isn't strong enough and the belt is clearly slipping.

To this day, it's gotten a little bit better, but things like wheat and carapils still jam it, crystal malts too, things that are really brittle will jam it up and it won't move. When it does mill, it does a decent job, it kinda pulverizes a bit too much, and creates a considerably large amount of dust.

So, coupling an issue with the mill itself, and mediocre to poor customer service, I can't recommend doing it.

Best purchase I've ever made was the SS Brewtech Mill. It's pretty expensive, but I love it. It's an incredible mill, and literally it's only downside is that it runs a little slow, on their website it says 350 lbs. per hour, 5.8 lbs per minute, The crank and stein does go incredibly faster than the Brewtech mill, but the crush isn't as good. Easy tradeoff.

Last couple of brews I've noticed my Hullwrecker hasn't been pulling the barley through as well as it used too, so I've been looking at upgrade/replacement mills. Right now I'm considering their gear driven 2 roller...

https://www.crankandstein.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=11.

Anyone with experiance with their mills? They appear to be a pretty nice mill to me. Not worried about a base/hopper I can build that myself.
Try resetting your gap. It could have slipped or the knurlng may have worn down.

Well called CrankandStein with a couple of questions. Gotta say, the owner, Don, answered on the 2nd ring, very nice, helpfull answered all my questions. Decided I'm going to order the 3GT...need to wait a week or two first, my daughter needs a homecoming dress first.

However, if all goes well, I'll be ordering one as soon as the checks clear from the DJ shows next Saturday.

Back