Bulk Base Grain Thoughts

naDinMN

Trial Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, for those of you who keep base grain(s) on hand at home, what do you keep and why? Pilsner/Pilsen, 2-Row/Pale Malt, Pale Ale only? A selection of several? A particular brand?

I ussualy have MO, pale, munich, and pilsner on hand.

no particualr brand, whatever the LBHS has

I'm spoiled, but if I had to choose,
Briess Brewers malt 2 row. (American beers)
Warminster Maris Otter ( English beers)
Swaen Pilsen ( light beers and lagers)
Others can sub in and out, but those are the 3 I use most.
Cheers

I keep Pilsner malt on hand(Avangard right now, but I also like Viking, Sekado and Rahr), pretty versitile malt really. Just picked up a bag of Briess Pale Ale for some APAs I plan on making, if I like it, I may decide to keep that one on hand too.

I ussualy have MO, pale, munich, and pilsner on hand.

no particualr brand, whatever the LBHS has

Maris Otter is a Pale Ale malt... Why both? Or did you mean 2-row Pale Malt?

Deer Creek Malts for the most part. They are a craft maltster in PA. Love their stuff.

2-Row
Pils
Munich
Vienna
Pale Wheat

Those make up the base for most of the beers I brew. I’ll also keep some Maris Otter or Golden Promise if I can see an English beer on the horizon.

I rotate between Pilsner and a 2 row pale. Usually Rahr, Viking, or Weyermann with a preference for anything floor malted. This year it’s Barke and Halcyon. Last year it was Rahr 2 row. As long as it’s a quality grain, I’ve been happy to purchase it.

I keep pilsner malt and pale ale malt in stock for my base malts. I find that these two will cover virtually all my brewing needs, and when I need something different for a single batch I can buy what I need. I used to keep more base malts in stock, but I find with fewer malts I go through them faster so there is less risk of them going stale.

Pilsner because I could get a bag here.
Also MO and lager malt, but will probably not replace them when they are finished unless someone drives up from South Africa and is willing to bring me some

I stick to a nice pilsner malt, and maris otter. Unfortunately maris getting pricey, but I haven't found a domestic equivalent yet that gives that delicious bready toasty ness.

I stick to a nice pilsner malt, and maris otter. Unfortunately maris getting pricey, but I haven't found a domestic equivalent yet that gives that delicious bready toasty ness.
Have you tried Viking Golden Ale combined 1:1 with pils? I’ve found it to be a decent substitute.

I keep pilsner malt and pale ale malt in stock for my base malts. I find that these two will cover virtually all my brewing needs, and when I need something different for a single batch I can buy what I need. I used to keep more base malts in stock, but I find with fewer malts I go through them faster so there is less risk of them going stale.
This is a really good idea. Keeping fewer base malts helps keep them fresh.

That being said, I keep 3 on hand. Weyermann Pils, Simpson MO and Rahr Premium Pils or Rahr North Star Pils. The most versatile malt is Weyermann Pils. It has enough backbone to make a IPA with a little crystal malt and you can add adjuncts to make an American lager. A Gernan Pils with 100% Weyermann is an outstanding beer.

In the past I have bought base grains in bulk. I'm getting ready to throw about 100 pounds out. Not worth it in my book to buy a 50-pound bag when I use about 10 pounds per brew.

In the past I have bought base grains in bulk. I'm getting ready to throw about 100 pounds out. Not worth it in my book to buy a 50-pound bag when I use about 10 pounds per brew.
Especially if your LHBS is 20 minutes away AND you don't gave a mill ...

Especially if your LHBS is 20 minutes away AND you don't gave a mill ...
LHBS is about 20 mins away and there's a pretty good brewery adjacent.... But I do have a mill. I bought it because of the base grains. I use it because I can control the gap to the crush that works best for my RIMS, continual recirculation system.

Back